• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DC owns part of my front yard and driveway?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pb2006

What is the name of your state? Washington DC

We recently had our property boundaries surveyed only to learn that our front yard does not extend to the sidewalk. Our front property boundary crosses right in the middle of our front yard. We apparently do not even own the entrance to our driveway or the portion of the driveway that we park in. We were told that the District of Columbia owns the rest of the front yard and driveway and if they wanted to, they could widen the road to our property boundary (I'm sure this would never happen). We have landscaped much of the area now and maintain the area regularly. My questions are: What are our rights and responsibilities when it comes to the portions of the front yard and driveway owned by the city? If I wanted to install a gate/fence would I be allowed to have it extend to the sidewalk and can I gate off the entrance to my driveway? It also appears that our property corner is in our neighbors yard (on the otherside of the driveway). If I extend straight lines from my boundary corners to the sidewalk, is this the area I am responsible for maintaining? Since our driveway is curved, would this imply that a corner of the neighbors yard would be mine to maintain as I wish? Can I plant a tree there?What is the name of your state?

xylene

pb2006 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington DC
We recently had our property boundaries surveyed only to learn that our front yard does not extend to the sidewalk.
very common.

Our front property boundary crosses right in the middle of our front yard. We apparently do not even own the entrance to our driveway or the portion of the driveway that we park in.
Again, quite common.

We were told that the District of Columbia owns the rest of the front yard and driveway and if they wanted to, they could widen the road to our property boundary (I'm sure this would never happen). We have landscaped much of the area now and maintain the area regularly.
It is their property, and could do what you say. Again it is very unlikely.

My questions are: What are our rights and responsibilities when it comes to the portions of the front yard and driveway owned by the city?
Follow your ordinances concerning maintance and don't do something so expensive that you would be mad if it got dug up.

If I wanted to install a gate/fence would I be allowed to have it extend to the sidewalk and can I gate off the entrance to my driveway?
Knowing DC, would very likely need a construction permit: ask them.

It also appears that our property corner is in our neighbors yard (on the otherside of the driveway).
It appears? What does this mean? Where is the survey marker?

If I extend straight lines from my boundary corners to the sidewalk, is this the area I am responsible for maintaining?
Could well be, code and the site plan are factors... I have not seen either.

Since our driveway is curved, would this imply that a corner of the neighbors yard would be mine to maintain as I wish? Can I plant a tree there?What is the name of your state?
Again what do you mean "imply"?

You can plan a tree on YOUR property. (depending on codes and proximity to neighbor...)

You cannot plan a tree on you neighbors property.

You would be well advised not to plan a tree on the city property, and certainly not in a way that does or might create a trespass on your neighbors property.

very common they own the sidewalk and the property it is on and around so that they can work on the sidewalk/ surrounding area. It is very unlikely that they will ever use it for another reason. Don't even think about blocking the sidewalk if your car in your driveway blocks the sidewalk that isn't a huge deal and I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it. But you don't want to put a tree/ fence or any other object near enough to the sidewalk that it may at sometime in the future cause damage to the sidewalk by roots or whatelse as you will be charged to fix the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">