• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dead Oak Tree.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bse123

I live in York, PA.
I have a neighbor that pretty much disliked me from the beginning since I would not sell a right away to him so he could build a housing development behind me. At one point when I had my land graded the backhoe went on his property about a couple inches and he got so mad he started putting up dangerous rusty stakes on the line, but some reason they keep missing slowly.
The new problem is we have an old Oak tree that is shared by 3 neighbors as a property line. "Maybe if we had it surveyed someone or just 2 people would own it who knows. On the deed it just says it is the property line for all 3 people.
My neighbors are pushing 70 and 80 and I guess loved the Oak tree and got attached to seeing it.
The problem is about 6 years ago it just starting to die and decay/rot.
Most of the bad limbs were on my side and have fallen off.
However there were many branches that were still on my side that were dead.
I asked my neighbor that I thought liked us, if I could cut the tree down.
They said they would like to see the tree because hawks still fly in and I guess it still have sentimental value you to them even though it is completely dead.
I was nice and said legal I can cut the ones on my property off knowing it is going to make the tree ugly and maybe someday they will say cut it down.
I than cut them down and cleaned up everything.
I had 2 branches left to cut.
This time they were on the neighbor that does not like me.
I asked him to cut a branch down on his property since it was growing into a pine tree.
He said go for it.
I cut that down and than cut a bigger branch down that was also on my property and he starting a fight and wanted to hit me. Again he tried to come at me, but he is in his 80's and could not catch me.
I tried to have him hit me, but he than held back.
So I guess my question is since he said cut it and I did not get it in writing can he do anything.
Can I do anything to get this dead oak tree cut down for an issue with safety?
I cut the branches down because at anytime they can fall and did one time.
My kids love to walk around the yard and play by this tree.
I did this so they are safe, but my ignorant neighbors do not understand the tree is dead and a safety issue.
Who can determine this tree is unsafe and should go.
I even wanted to cut it off 10 foot high and get a tree carving down
The base is extremly big and that part is still good for the time being.

Last edited:

bse123

I will check into that.
Calling township now.
I did not know that could be a law
It is not close to any wires etc.
Just in the middle of all 3 home owners
Not hurting much other than now it is dead and looks bad since i trimmed my whole side
It needs to go for the dead branches that can and will fall, but than again they are not on my side no more.
I just have to fight this old man saying the branch was on his property.
I told him to pay for a survey than to figure it out.
Maybe the tree was planted wrong whoh know. worse case someone needs to be able to say it is dead cut it down since both the old farts dont want to see it go as it has been around all ther 70 80 years.
I'm only their 7 years now. They got 40 on me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">