• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deed question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigethel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
My neighbors are trying to claim part of our driveway and detached shed is on part of their property, we have both deeds from the courthouse showing property lines and our land survey has been registered and theirs has not, our deed was in place at the courthouse showing the property lines and the survey showing this as well, 5 years prior to their deed registered at the courthouse.

I have a friend who used to work for a lawyer and she looked over both deeds and can read the legal wording and assures me we are right that the property line we thought all along was ours is ours and not th neighbors and that our shed and driveway both are clearly far away from the line....if they were to take us to court to try to prove their point won't our deed serve as correct and them wrong ? since it was recorded first and the property line was established five years before they bought their land and got their deed? Thanks

drewguy

The deeds should be consistent. If they are not you would have to do a title search to determine how the conflict arose and then which of the alternatives takes precedence.

Tell them to have a survey done and marked, and to show you the results, before you start worrying about this. You should be a long way off from court, and should try to resolve this before an expensive battle in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">