• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defining fence height

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kesslinger444

What is the name of your state?Minnesota

Along one side of my property runs a two-tiered cement wall. The neighbor owns the property up to the edge of the top tier. I am determined to erect a fence to give us some privacy and prevent the neighbor looking down onto our property. However, obviously, we are unable to erect the fence at the top of the second tier. I am looking at erecting an 11 or 10' fence on the first tier; this would mean it would extend 5-6' above ground on the second tier. City law stipulates fence height must be no more than 6'. So can 'fence height' be taken to mean the distance from the ground to the top of the fence on the second tier? Or must it be interpreted as the full height of the fence?

John Se

Your city inspectors/planning and permits will tell you

They will be the ones to decide, but really beware that a ten foot high fence takes BIG footing I mean really BIG and will take a engineer to do the premit and plans (probably). but what makes you think that the neighbors care about what you do anyway.

ross2233

People get on here looking for answers to questions they have, not to have some one jump their case. I like privacy in my yard too. I don't have answers to your question but this guy gave called me a cheapskate. Beware. :confused:

John Se

So your not a cheapskate??

My most humble apologies, maybe just frugal and short sighted, it will never get cheaper and your house will always be deficient.

Shel77

If it says no taller than 6 ft for fences, I am sure it means walls of cement as well. The height should be no more than 6ft off the ground.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">