• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition of ingress and egress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bennett Burke

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hi, first time here.

I have a piece of property that I live on that has a 20' wide easement which runs across my property. This easement is for the local water company to have access to the water tower behind my house. Today the water company has decided to build a road on my property, without even mentioning it to me. So far all they have done is dump a couple of loads of chert and made a big mess. When someone has easement rights for ingress and egress, does this allow them to build a road on that easement? Are there any standards as far as what this road can look like?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bennett Burke said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hi, first time here.

I have a piece of property that I live on that has a 20' wide easement which runs across my property. This easement is for the local water company to have access to the water tower behind my house. Today the water company has decided to build a road on my property, without even mentioning it to me. So far all they have done is dump a couple of loads of chert and made a big mess. When someone has easement rights for ingress and egress, does this allow them to build a road on that easement? Are there any standards as far as what this road can look like?

My response:

You really live on property that has a water tower? Where do you live, in Hooterville, Alabama? There wouldn't be a trailer on this property too, would there?

What do you mean by "Are there any standards as far as what this road can look like?" Isn't pavement or other surfacing better than dirt? Check your county Municipal Codes.

IAAL

Bennett Burke

Sorry not Hooterville, but Union Grove

Alabama.

Yes there is a trailer, a 2005 Palm Harbor double wide, that I payed $82,000.00 for. Up until today I had a nice grass covered road (actually there wasn't a road there it was my yard) that I mowed weekly with my new craftsman lawnmower. Now all I have is dirt and rocks, nice size rocks at that. And mud, lots of mud.

PghREA

What you didn't tell us is: How big is the property? Where is the water tower in relation to your home? If the water tower is directly behind the doublewide, than it is already an eyesore, a road won't make that much difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">