• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dirtbike taken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheslikewhoa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma

ok so here goes. i purchased a dirtbike back in june i didnt recieve a title or bill of sale my bf at the time rode it and now that i told him im moving out and leaving him he has taken the dirtbike.with out a bill of sale or title how do i prove its my dirtbike and get it back?

NC Aggie

So did you purchase the dirtbike for shared use or his exclusive use because if you purchased this for his exclusive use then it would appear to me that this is a gift.

sheslikewhoa

So did you purchase the dirtbike for shared use or his exclusive use because if you purchased this for his exclusive use then it would appear to me that this is a gift.
i purchased it for the use of anyone who wanted to ride dirtbikes with me
him being one of them . it was made clear when i bought it that it wasnt solely for him nor was it his. but it ended up me watching his kid while he got to go out and ride my bike. and we had differences and he asked if he could go ride it and he hasnt ever brought it back

nextwife

Did you register the bike and change title through DMV? If so you can obtain a copy.

Why is this posted in the Real Estate forums?

NC Aggie

idk why its in real estate forum?

no i didnt register the bike the guy i bought it from didnt have a title to it.
If you don't have title to the bike then the person who has possession may likely be considered the owner, especially if he's held possession for an extended period of time without you reporting the property as stolen.

sheslikewhoa

If you don't have title to the bike then the person who has possession may likely be considered the owner, especially if he's held possession for an extended period of time without you reporting the property as stolen.
he has only had it for a day and a half i contacted the police and they said there isnt much they can do with out a title or bill of sale so i guess i need to get a bill of sale somehow

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
he has only had it for a day and a half i contacted the police and they said there isnt much they can do with out a title or bill of sale so i guess i need to get a bill of sale somehow
After you get that bill of sale, you're going to find that there's STILL nothing the police can do. This is a civil matter. Sue the bad guy in small claims court.

get proof you paid for it...get the ill of sale, file in court...stop paying insurance on it and get your bike back. The court takes 3 months tops at which time you can tell the judge that you do not know what he did to the bike and you want money instead

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
get proof you paid for it...get the ill of sale, file in court...stop paying insurance on it and get your bike back. The court takes 3 months tops at which time you can tell the judge that you do not know what he did to the bike and you want money instead
Why would you suggest she stop paying insurance? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">