• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disturbance from trash collection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terpfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello. I have lived in an apartment building in Rockville MD for several years. My building is a large building with approximately 250 units and is located near surrounding office buildings. After many months of satisfaction living here, in March the office building across the street started to have their trash collected at 6AM. This meant three dumpsters were lifted by the truck banging against the truck and then banging against the ground. The noise is extremely loud and would wake my wife and I up. I'm assuming others were woken as well. The noise is extremely loud and definitely in excess of the County's noise ordinance decibel limits.

We complained to the County because this early collection was against the trash collection laws which state no pickups within 500 feet of residential before 7AM Mon-Sat and 9AM on Sun. A county inspector got the trash company to move into compliance and they started to come after 7AM all days. We have been bothered especially on Saturday by being woken at 7AM. However weekdays are annoying as well as I typically wake up at 7:45-8AM. Being woken up by this noise has affected both of our sleep causing us to be tired to start the week which has definitely affected our mental health, work production, etc.

I've requested assistance from our management company, they talked to the County and neighboring property's management. I also have called the neighboring property's management and voiced a complaint. For a while the trash was moved later however it has resumed being collected at 7AM.

We are otherwise happy with our apartment building and do not wish to move since we are looking to buy our first home and anticipate moving in the next 2-5 months, however this disturbance is making life miserable. I've read about filing suit in small claims court for private nuisance. I would probably request a small amount of damages ~$2500 or something for lost productivity, emotional distress, etc which could hopefully get them to stop. One key question I have is whether the defendant would be the property's management/owner or the trash company.

Any advice on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

STEPHAN

You must have to much time. If they are within the rules, there is nothing you can do.

Hey, you want to move anyway. Focus on that.

xylene

Your grievance is political - you can't sue a private hauler for conforming to the law. If you want the law to be 9am on saturday and sunday or every day of the week you need to take it up with the relevant law / rule making body.

Haulers and businesses like picking up early because of traffic, parking and smell, some interests people who make these rules also consider alongside those who sleep late and are overly dramatic about being traumatized by noises that characterize urban life. :rolleyes:

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello. I have lived in an apartment building in Rockville MD for several years. My building is a large building with approximately 250 units and is located near surrounding office buildings. After many months of satisfaction living here, in March the office building across the street started to have their trash collected at 6AM. This meant three dumpsters were lifted by the truck banging against the truck and then banging against the ground. The noise is extremely loud and would wake my wife and I up. I'm assuming others were woken as well. The noise is extremely loud and definitely in excess of the County's noise ordinance decibel limits.

We complained to the County because this early collection was against the trash collection laws which state no pickups within 500 feet of residential before 7AM Mon-Sat and 9AM on Sun. A county inspector got the trash company to move into compliance and they started to come after 7AM all days. We have been bothered especially on Saturday by being woken at 7AM. However weekdays are annoying as well as I typically wake up at 7:45-8AM. Being woken up by this noise has affected both of our sleep causing us to be tired to start the week which has definitely affected our mental health, work production, etc.

I've requested assistance from our management company, they talked to the County and neighboring property's management. I also have called the neighboring property's management and voiced a complaint. For a while the trash was moved later however it has resumed being collected at 7AM.

We are otherwise happy with our apartment building and do not wish to move since we are looking to buy our first home and anticipate moving in the next 2-5 months, however this disturbance is making life miserable. I've read about filing suit in small claims court for private nuisance. I would probably request a small amount of damages ~$2500 or something for lost productivity, emotional distress, etc which could hopefully get them to stop. One key question I have is whether the defendant would be the property's management/owner or the trash company.

Any advice on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
damages? Seriously? If you aren't a troll you need a serious wake up call. Even if they were is violation of the ordinance your claim for damages would be laughable.

STEPHAN

We have been bothered especially on Saturday by being woken at 7AM. However weekdays are annoying as well as I typically wake up at 7:45-8AM. Being woken up by this noise has affected both of our sleep causing us to be tired to start the week which has definitely affected our mental health, work production, etc.
Millions of other people have small kids and somehow survive that ... without serious health problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">