• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any recourse.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RICK JONES

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My problem is with the local code enforcement officer....I grew up in this home and was away for about 6 years while laid off from my job. I was recalled in 1996 and now solely own the home. My problem starts in the Spring when I let the grass go to seed before I cut it and I get a warning for tall grass, then I also got a warning for having a unplated car on my plated trailer in my house driveway for to long of time.....I was taking a body shop class thru work and trailered the car to and from the class! I should ad that when I was laid off my wife and I moved 2 hrs away, where she stays and I go there when I can and the trailer and other cars usually sit there.
well about a month ago, I got a warning for not having my address permanently attached to my house near the front door! I have them posted in a window near the front door and its been that way for a good 20 years! Also I should ad that other homes on the street have no such street numbers on their homes either.....also last summer I had a skid-steer in my fenced back yard and he told me that had to go, so I put up a portable garage and put it in there.
Now on Friday I got a real citation for my house numbers not being on the house permanently, I called him when I got the warning about a month ago and asked him if he tagged ALL the homes on the street and he didnt answer me and so far no one else has put their numbers on their house either!
My question dont I have certain rights that go with home-ownership and can I file harassment charges on this guy or ger a court order for him to cease and desist all the harassment? thank you and I appreciate your responses!

Mass_Shyster

You can't file harassment charges because he's doing his job. You won't get an injunction enjoining him from performing his duties.

If you fight the citation, a judge may look at your evidence and dismiss the citation if he or she sees the harassment involved. That won't stop him from issuing another citation on the way back from court if the issue isn't corrected.

Your only real option is to make sure you obey all the rules.

csi7

You can file a complaint to have all the other houses be in compliance with the code. In some areas, code enforcement is done strictly by complaint and the person who is being cited can find out who filed the complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">