• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog altercation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssherian

I have a question regarding a recent incident involving a neighbor's dog and one of my own. The incident occured in Ventnor City, NJ.

I was in my back yard, walking my dog, which weighs approximately 60-65 lbs, on a leash. At this time, a neighbor was walking his dog, (about 10-15 lbs) past my house WITHOUT A LEASH.. and his dog came charging into my front yard towards the backyard area where my dog and I were.

My dog's reaction to this was pretty aggressive. I then lost control of the leash, and my dog went after his dog on my front lawn, and proceeded to do serious damage to his dog.

He is asking for 1/2 of the Vet bill ($200 of $400 total), which I originally agreed to pay. However, after reviewing the laws in the City I live in, it clearly states that all dogs must be on leashes at all times, and not be allowed to run at large.

I then proceeded to offer him a much smaller ammount, and told him that if this went to court, I would win because it was on my property, and his dog was not on a leash, and would probably NOT have to pay him anything.

Am i correct in this assumption ?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank,

Steve

Antigone*

I have a question regarding a recent incident involving a neighbor's dog and one of my own. The incident occured in Ventnor City, NJ.

I was in my back yard, walking my dog, which weighs approximately 60-65 lbs, on a leash. At this time, a neighbor was walking his dog, (about 10-15 lbs) past my house WITHOUT A LEASH.. and his dog came charging into my front yard towards the backyard area where my dog and I were.

My dog's reaction to this was pretty aggressive. I then lost control of the leash, and my dog went after his dog on my front lawn, and proceeded to do serious damage to his dog.

He is asking for 1/2 of the Vet bill ($200 of $400 total), which I originally agreed to pay. However, after reviewing the laws in the City I live in, it clearly states that all dogs must be on leashes at all times, and not be allowed to run at large.

I then proceeded to offer him a much smaller ammount, and told him that if this went to court, I would win because it was on my property, and his dog was not on a leash, and would probably NOT have to pay him anything.

Am i correct in this assumption ?

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank,

Steve
I am a true dog lover and I'll probably get flack for this; but I do have to say this: If you had your dog on your property, and this other dog came onto your property, then I wouldn't pay either.

For that small amount of money, let a judge decide.

Mass_Shyster

I am a true dog lover and I'll probably get flack for this; but I do have to say this: If you had your dog on your property, and this other dog came onto your property, then I wouldn't pay either.

There's a flaw in your thinking. I don't know what it is, but it must be there, because I agree with you.:D

ssherian

RE: Dog Altercation

Thanks for the response. I am a dog lover as well, and his dog got hurt to the point that it needed stitches. I feel truly bad about this, but the law is the law, right ? He refused my original offer, and I have since rescinded it, and, and told him to go ahead and take me to court.

I hate to be "that guy" but this is not the first time this has happened with him. Luckily, the other times, I was able to restrain my dog.

Thanks for the response. I am a dog lover as well, and his dog got hurt to the point that it needed stitches. I feel truly bad about this, but the law is the law, right ? He refused my original offer, and I have since rescinded it, and, and told him to go ahead and take me to court.

I hate to be "that guy" but this is not the first time this has happened with him. Luckily, the other times, I was able to restrain my dog.
Sounds like he would have a ruff case in court.

sally1

I would not pay anything since his dog was loose and in your yard. I had a neighbors dog come onto my property and rip into my dog. They paid the $400 bill.

If my dog had been running loose and/or in their yard I would have paid the bill for my dogs injuries. Your neighobr is responsible for his dogs vet bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">