• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog breeding in neighborhood where bylaws prevent it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NorthStar00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Harvest, AL

My neighbor is leasing his home to someone who is breeding dogs. The backyard meets up against mine. The dogs are never out of their pins and the odor is unbearable. The city of Huntsville has laws against the conditions IIRC however I live in the county. There is no body to enforce the bylaws by which my neighborhood goes by. Madison County Animal control has been called as has the sheriff. The county fined the renter for not having the animals vaccinated against rabies however even though the animals live in their feces and the stench is horrendoes they will do nothing. Is there any action I can legally take to change this situation.

These are the laws I've found however none seem to address my situation. The one that comes closes is vague.

3-1-5 CODE of ALABAMA:
Prohibits the running at large of dogs beyond the owner’s property. Does not require dogs to be under leash, but under the control of the owner.

Madison County Commission 1987 Resolution requires dogs be confined to premises.

3-7-3A CODE of ALABAMA:
Requires annual rabies vaccination of all dogs and cats 3 months of age or older. Authorizes the impoundment of any at large without proof of vaccination affixed, and the impoundment of any animal for which no proof of vaccination can be produced.

13A-11-14 CODE of ALABAMA:
Criminal code for cruelty to animals. This code would be applicable to all animals, including livestock. Does not require livestock to be provided with shelter.

13A-11-241 CODE of ALABAMA:
Pet Protection Act. Provides for felony and misdemeanor penalties for animal cruelty, and applicable to dogs and cats only. Requires proper sustenance and shelter be provided.
The last code is open to interpretation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">