• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drainage easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpullman

I have a 30 foot easement that runs thru the end of my property.basicly this easement runs thru our delelopement long the end of the properies of all the home owners on our streets. the city owns 10ft of it and the propery owners including myself own the other 20ft. I didn't learn of this until the city built a concreate covert for rain drianage in our back yard. imagine coming home to big epuipment to what you thought was your property. Per our dead and title it only showed the 10ft easement the city owned? after i meet with the city engener he showed me that this was recorded to the county in a drawing in which the title companies wouldn't check when doing their title searches. after living in this home for 3 yrs they extended this covert from next to an adjestent street ( it looked like a little bridge) that is 2 houses down. they ran sewer pipe and back filling making a nice back yards for them and built this thing on the back corner or property within the easement.

The problem is everyone in the neighbor hood thinks this is owned by the city. Every kid in the neighbor hood plays on this covert including the owner on the otherside of easement. he host parties using the area of the 2 neighbors homes they back filled, thinking he can expand out using this space. I've placed no tresspassing signs ( per cities request) to protect ourself of a law suit but this back neighbor pulls them out. I want to make sure i'm protected of any injury from kids playing. this guy thinks any easement is owned by the city not understanding that most of this area is on my property. the city won't help to make with making people aware. what should i do? first part as far as this not being on our deed and secondly to keep people off my property to protect myself.

Tim
OhioWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

divgradcurl

Keep posting your no trepassing signs. Call the police if you see people trespassing. Sue your neighbor for the cost of the signs if he is stealing them. Sue your neghbor civilly for trespass if you catch him (or his kids) trespassing. Learn to live with it. There are a lot of options, probably none of which are anything you want to do, unfortunately -- there is no magic solution.

That said, your concern about liability is likely misplaced -- contrary to popular belief, homeowners are not automatically reponsible for anything that might occur on their land. You are probably better served by making sure you have sufficient liability insurance, and maybe even an umbrella policy, just in case -- that's probably the easiest solution.

tpullman

Thanks for your advice!
I just don't want a liability because i don't trust that neighbor and want to be protected.

Tim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">