• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driveway easement abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindaBMpls

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My driveway has an easement on it. The neighbor has the right to use part of my driveway to get access to park in front of her garage. She lets all her friends and relatives also use it. My property has been damaged by her drunken friends backing out. Do I have the right to tell her that the easement is only for her use (or the title owner of the house) and not all her friends? I checked and found out that I am being taxed on the whole driveway less 1 foot that runs along her house. I should have a say in who legally is able to use the driveway. I came home one day and was totally blocked from getting into my garage by one of her party goers. I was irate. It states that we both share maintenance of the driveway and not once has she shoveled or swept. What can I do?

seniorjudge

LindaBMpls said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My driveway has an easement on it. The neighbor has the right to use part of my driveway to get access to park in front of her garage. She lets all her friends and relatives also use it. My property has been damaged by her drunken friends backing out. Do I have the right to tell her that the easement is only for her use (or the title owner of the house) and not all her friends? I checked and found out that I am being taxed on the whole driveway less 1 foot that runs along her house. I should have a say in who legally is able to use the driveway. I came home one day and was totally blocked from getting into my garage by one of her party goers. I was irate. It states that we both share maintenance of the driveway and not once has she shoveled or swept. What can I do?
Q: Do I have the right to tell her that the easement is only for her use (or the title owner of the house) and not all her friends?

A: It depends on what the easement says. But, it sounds like she is overburdening the easement (or allowing it to happen). Write her a nasty letter (send it certified, return receipt requested) and outline the activitiy that you want her to stop. Tell her that if it does not stop immediately, then you will hire a lawyer and sue her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">