• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dust blowing over property lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcowboys

While doing weekly yard work, part of my routine is to spread my grass clippings over an area in my back yard that is bare with dirt. I then run my automatic sprinklers to keep it all down. I do this by pulling a 5ft harrow behind my 4-wheeler. It can get a little dusty when I'm doing this and blow onto the property across the road. My neighbor is mad as ever about the occassional dust I stir up while doing this. I try to do this when the breeze blows the opposite direction, but that isn't always the case. Am I at legal risk for dust blowing into his yard from mine? We live in a rural area where everyone has 2 acres or more and farming is being conducted just down the road from us.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

Unless it is constant, or nearly so, he probably has no action available to him. If it is too often, it may be seen as a nuisance by the governing body and as such, you might be able to be ticketed.

How about sprinkling before you drag the harrow?

FarmerJ

Honestly If it was Me I would politely IGNORE the neighbor, this one has too much free time on his /her hands , if they dont like dust too bad dust travels , its not like your sanding drywall or car paint every day. let them complain BTW even if your TWP was a_al enough to create a so called blowing dust ord do you really think they can enforce it , what about in winter when dust is picked up by winds over the western most mid west from farms and carried in whats the nbr going to do sue farmers from red river valley or South Dak, your nieghbor is NUTS, if nothing else and you feel you must do something to appease them yes try sprinkler first or wait and do this task when you have heavy dew in the mornings so you do not have to waste valuable potable water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">