• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ease my neighbor's concern about liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ElroyFlynn

New York state.

A nearby neighbor (not directly adjacent) has a number of wooded acres with nice walking trails. I plan to ask his permission to walk there but I've been told that he may be reluctant because of some incident in the past, where he was sued for an injury that occurred on his property. What could I do to allay his concerns? Is there some specific waiver language that I could put into a document and sign?

HomeGuru

New York state.

A nearby neighbor (not directly adjacent) has a number of wooded acres with nice walking trails. I plan to ask his permission to walk there but I've been told that he may be reluctant because of some incident in the past, where he was sued for an injury that occurred on his property. What could I do to allay his concerns? Is there some specific waiver language that I could put into a document and sign?
**A: ask him to check with his insurance company or attorney as to the specific language.

xylene

What could I do to allay his concerns?
Offer something of value in compensation.

Befriend the neighbor before seeking use rights, and honor that friendship even if initially denied permission.

Learn of their concerns directly, rather than 3rd hand, before devising a plan to allay them.

154NH773

Check also the state laws. In my state (NH), although probably unique, allows trespass for recreation purposes with no liability for the owner if the land is not posted. See if NY might also have such a law, or maybe someone with NY experience will post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">