• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement access for neighbor that already has public road access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starbox

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I purchased a house on 10 acres that has a gravel road that my neighbor uses to access our main road from his house. Even though he is NOT landlocked and has the same frontage property access to the main road as I do, He does have a legal easement on my property.

We talked about 6 months ago that he was selling his house this spring. I asked him if he would re-direct his driveway to gain access to the main road and sign off on the easement since he did not need to drive accross my property to gain access to the main road. He said he didn't have the money but if I wanted to do it prior to the sale of his house, he would be happy to sign off the easement.

6 months later, I have the funds and the company to cut in a new driveway for him. He now says 'don't bother', that he is happy with the current one and even if I cut in a new driveway, he wouldn't use it and would continue using the origional one and isn't interested in signing off of the easement anymore.

Do I have any legal recourse here? I keep reading that the reasons for these easements are for 'Land-Locked' properties. What about if they are not? For some reason, prior to my property even having a home built one it he had this easement added. The main road was put there prior to that! There is no reason that this easement should have ever been placed on our property.

HELP!!!!

And thank you for your time.

Scott

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">