• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement to bordering property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Verwood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
I live on a 6 acre lot that is part of a four lot subdivision. A common road serves the 4 lots providing access from a PA State highway. A fifth 10 acre lot is situated behind two of the 4 subdivision lots. The owner of the 10 acre lot has inquired to some of the 4 lot owners of the possibility of him using the common driveway and an easement across someone's lot to gain access to his property. I employed a title search company who found the 10 acre lot does have a right of way through other surround properties. It's clear that developing the deeded right of way would require much more expense than using the subdivision common road and an easement across one of the 4 lots. Would the individual seeking access to the 10 acre lot have a legal position to force access through the subdivision rather than his deeded right of way based on the additional costs he would incur? An easement through my property or my neighbor would pass right next to my home, and would, I judge, seriously devalue our properties.

Thank you for the Advice!

seniorjudge

Q: Would the individual seeking access to the 10 acre lot have a legal position to force access through the subdivision rather than his deeded right of way based on the additional costs he would incur?

A: No; not if (as you say) he already has a legal right of way somewhere else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">