• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement boundary dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Symbion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
WA State. This question regards an easement boundary dispute where an easement had been agreed to in a settlement agreement based upon an original survey almost 20 years ago which depicted the historical driveway. This area has been used in this historical configuration until just recently. The dominant estate holder commissioned a survey using only the mathematical depiction from the original survey. The resulting drawing does not remotely match up with the original survey scaled drawings and results in encroaching approximately 14 feet into my property. The neighbor, using this an excuse to expand his use of my property, trespassed, excavated,, removed soil, rock and my personal property from the area. I as the serviant estate holder, commissioned my surveyor and he concurred that the mathematical drawing indicated the same encroachment and also advised me that the math is significantly errant as the “new path” would encumber a 200 year old tree, and did not conform to the original survey scaled drawing of the drive location. He has since re-created the original survey boundaries using the original scaled drawing, historical photographs and existing original drive surface. What does legal precedent indicate to resolve the dispute as to which form of the survey prevails? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

154NH773

an easement had been agreed to in a settlement agreement based upon an original survey almost 20 years ago which depicted the historical driveway
I would say that the previous settlement, and the legal description, would override any drawings or survey plats; although, if the language of the settlement referred to the drawings rather than the legal description then perhaps that would be seen as the easement route. Having said that; there is no sure way to predict what a court might decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">