• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement for foundation wall repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StefanM

What is the name of your state? New York

I live in a private house in Brooklyn, NY. My foundation wall is leaking in a location adjacent to a backyard which belongs to my neighbors. The latter had initially allowed my contractor access to their backyard for the necessary work on waterproofing the wall; but when they learned that we would need to dig next to their own wall, they went furious and obscene, claiming that the work may damage their own property and stating that "there is no way you are going an inch further", "your foundation is your own problem", etc. etc. Yet, the only way to do the necessary repair is to work on their property. What are my legal rights here? Can I obtain an easement on their property to enable me to do the work?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">