• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Gate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alleykatz

What is the name of your state?I live in California, some twenty odd years ago I bought a house on a large lot. My property extends the length of two back neighbors, with an easement between. One of the properties was a duplex apartment until new owners came and converted them to a single dwelling. One day I heard chainsaws, went out back to investigate and these new neighbors already had 3 of my trees cut down, cut up, and stacked on trailers. When I asked,"what are you doing", they said the other neighbor told them they were my trees but had decided to go ahead. Reason being is my fence is on their property line. When I explained I planted those trees 20 some years ago when I also replaced the exsisting fence upon purchase they didn't seem a bit interested. In the next day or so they erected a gate accross the easement leaving me only my gate area. Cutting me off completely, to the back of my property, trees, or drive. Built their gate attaching to my fence and refuse to discuss it. Are there any laws to protect my rights or do I have any? :confused:

HomeGuru

Alleykatz said:
What is the name of your state?I live in California, some twenty odd years ago I bought a house on a large lot. My property extends the length of two back neighbors, with an easement between. One of the properties was a duplex apartment until new owners came and converted them to a single dwelling. One day I heard chainsaws, went out back to investigate and these new neighbors already had 3 of my trees cut down, cut up, and stacked on trailers. When I asked,"what are you doing", they said the other neighbor told them they were my trees but had decided to go ahead. Reason being is my fence is on their property line. When I explained I planted those trees 20 some years ago when I also replaced the exsisting fence upon purchase they didn't seem a bit interested. In the next day or so they erected a gate accross the easement leaving me only my gate area. Cutting me off completely, to the back of my property, trees, or drive. Built their gate attaching to my fence and refuse to discuss it. Are there any laws to protect my rights or do I have any? :confused:
**A: you should have called the police if in fact the trees were on your property. The other issues could be settled in mediation or litigation.

Last edited:
A

Alleykatz

Re:easement gate

:confused:
HomeGuru said:
**A: you should have called the police if in fact the tress were on your property. The other issues could be settled in mediation or litigation.
(QUOTE=Alleykatz)**California: as far as I know the original fence line is original, it's what I went by to erect new fence in 1981. It looked original to the house built in the 1940's. Is it too late to call now?

HomeGuru

Alleykatz said:
:confused:
(QUOTE=Alleykatz)**California: as far as I know the original fence line is original, it's what I went by to erect new fence in 1981. It looked original to the house built in the 1940's. Is it too late to call now?

**A: where is your survey when you bought the property and when you constructed the fence in 1981? You do not use an existing fence to determine the boundary lines; especially a fence built in the 1940's.

A

Alleykatz

#2 Easement Gate?

California: Good question, I had them and remember them distinctively showing the easement and looking for the markers which I was successful in finding. So the fence lines are correct, the easement, etc. I'll look them up though, mistakes I don't want. I take it making a call to the Sheriff's would not benefit my sitiuation at this point. I'll get back with the necessary papers. Sincerely thankful...

HomeGuru

Alleykatz said:
California: Good question, I had them and remember them distinctively showing the easement and looking for the markers which I was successful in finding. So the fence lines are correct, the easement, etc. I'll look them up though, mistakes I don't want. I take it making a call to the Sheriff's would not benefit my sitiuation at this point. I'll get back with the necessary papers. Sincerely thankful...
**A: it would not hurt to call law enforcement and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">