• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Grantee wants to put up a Security Gate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kissyrose

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I have an easement on my property that allows ingress and engress for road purposes (according to title insurance) to a landlocked property behind me. You can not see their house from the road. The easement runs along my property like in a "L" shape. The new owners want to pave (concrete) the easement and put up a security gate. I have no reason for not letting them pave the easement but I do have a problem with them putting up a security gate, blocking off the easement. They claim that since only they have access to this easement, that they are allowed to block it off and not have the others and the public (water company, etc..) access to it unless authorized by them. This is true..that the easement is only for them.. but can they block it off like it was their own private driveway? I was told no by someone (not a lawyer) but if I want to be good neighboors to let them do it. What are my rights?

Let me add that the previous owners were drug dealers and they did put up a makeshift gate (short term, slightly before they were evicted and jailed) at the entrance of the easement to keep people away without my permission. (I was terrified to confront them) When they got evicted, I didnt take the gate completely down, I just hooked it up to the side. And the new owners saw it and that is were they got the idea. They are claiming that the previous owners had a gate so why not them?

John Se

Seems like it is their own private driveway

sounds like a good idea....will also benefit you by blocking access to rif-raff along your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">