• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NikkiT

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My husband and I mistakenly purchased a garden shed last summer , hoping to put it up this spring. When the neighbor behind me realized this , she said we couldn't build on the easement . As first time home buyers we had no clue what she was even talking about until my husband went to the city building and they told him. Apparently we have a 10 ft easement on our side of the fence and the other 10 ft is on there side. We have 7 ft easements on both sides of our home. Although this would not affect their property in any way , the city would not grant us a permit simply because they threatened to get a lawyer. Now I understand that this is a ordnance but, do I have rights when the easement goes all the way down about twenty yards and some people have pools and sheds n it? I feel singled out on this just because I have complaining neighbors and the city is tired of hearing from them. These people complain about everything and everybody. Also they planted big shrub trees all the way down the easement on their side , wouldn't this be against the rules too? Some people have way to much time on their hands. Wouldn't it be easier just to make a new friend instead of always having to be right about everything.

HuAi

All of your neighbors with shrubs, sheds, etc are violating the terms of the easement. However two wrongs don't make a right, you don't have the right to build on that easement (most likely it's a utility easement, but check your deed for details).

NikkiT

Its not a utility easement. Its a water run off easement. But where I had planned on the shed being builted didnt interfere with any water run off. The whole point to my frustration is, when I look down the fence line where the easement is. (it runs through atleast 40 yards) Theres like 10 people with sheds built on it, and 3 with pools built on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">