• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jill Valentine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My husband and I recently purchased a house from my husbands dad. The problem is is that our driveway has an Easement to grant my neighbors access to use it because they are "Landlocked" We get along with our neighbors okay but they sell dope and their buyers recklessly drive through my driveway like a bunch of raging lunatics! They almost hit my car four times and one time I was loading my kids in my van and their pot buying friends couldn't wait for me to move out of the way so they drive close enough barely missing me and my kids and actually driving on our other neighbors property. I have complained to my Landlocked neighbors about this and nothing has changed is there anyway I can revoke their "friends" from using my driveway? I am worried about the safety of my kids because they do ride their bikes in our driveway and I am worried about damaging accuring to our cars.:(

justalayman

It is nearly impossible to terminate easement rights.

Your recourse is to call the police if the visitors commit a crime.

They almost hit my car four times and one time I was loading my kids in my van and their pot buying friends couldn't wait for me to move out of the way so they drive close enough barely missing me and my kids and actually driving on our other neighbors property.
if they drove in a reckless manner and endangered your children, that is a crime. Entering the neighbors property is not unless they have it posted; no trespassing. (a dumb requirement in MI law if you ask me). If they actually damaged the neighbors land, then that is, at least, a civil issue but may be seen as a crime, depending the facts.

I am worried about the safety of my kids because they do ride their bikes in our driveway
I know this sounds mean but...

tell your children to stay off the easement if you are concerned.

The dominant tenant's rights (the people allowed to use another's land) are superior to the servient tenant's rights (the people that own the land) in many ways. You cannot take any action that would interfere with the servient tenant's rights. That doesn't mean they are allowed to drive recklessly but there is very little you can do to alter their driving style.

Cedrus

How about a sign that says "5 mph" at the beginning of the easement and another; "resume normal speed" at the end of your easement road.

How about putting a phony camera with a blinking light at the start of your property, high up on a tree, and a sign nearby indicating a security camera is nearby.

LdiJ

How about a sign that says "5 mph" at the beginning of the easement and another; "resume normal speed" at the end of your easement road.

How about putting a phony camera with a blinking light at the start of your property, high up on a tree, and a sign nearby indicating a security camera is nearby.
A speed bump or two might not be amiss either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">