• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

htine30

What is the name of your state? Washington (the state)
I moved into a new house that was built on a lot subdivided from a larger lot. The house to the south has an easement for ingress and egress for the southerly 3 feet of my property. I have an easement for the north 6 feet of this person's lot. The easement dates from 1982.

This easement made sense when the large lot had a freestanding garage where my house now stands and it was a shared driveway for the southern house and the big lot house. As it currently stands, my southern neighbor also no longer has a garage and he uses the driveway as a parking pad for his car. I have a separate new driveway where I park, but it only runs the first 20 feet of the property.

I would like to remove this easement, since it doesn't benefit me at all. I want to put a privacy fence down our property line, but can't do so because of the easement. I'm willing to give up my easement on his property since he's parked there all the time and if I want to access the rear of my property I'd have to get him to move his car. He has enough space on the driveway to get in and out of his car even if I erected a fence.

Did I mention my neighbor hates my guts because he's angry that a house got built so close to his property? Not my fault, I just bought the house after it was built.

How difficult is it to get an easement removed and how does one go about doing this?

thanks.

htine30

What happens if he refuses to sell? I know this man, he is bitter and retired and has lots of time on his hands. I would've been happy to have kept the easement, but he has gone out of his way to be truly ugly to us.

I've bent over backwards since we moved in and tried to consult him before we did anything that might make noise or interrupt his peace. He's threatened lawsuits and I found out later that when the builder was constructing the house he called code compliance multiple times, and only on one occasion was there an actual violation. (Which had to do with the builder not being tidy enough.)

I seriously doubt he will offer to "sell" his easement off of our property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">