• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

easement/right of way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevy55

easement / right of way

In live on my land and I been using this access road for 7-8 years now to get to my property and the owner before had been using it for least 1-2,years also and now my neighbor baught the land beside me and now says he owns it and I need to find a alternate route to my house do I have any legal rights here as using the access road it was a price road put in by the land developer . supposable to access all properties .

154NH773

You will have to do some research. Simply using the road for 10 years will not get you prescriptive rights in NJ.

You will have to do some title searches to determine if you have any grant of an easement over that road. If you do, you will have to determine what rights were actually granted.
If you do not have an easement, you will probably have to find another legal access to your property. If there is no other access, you may be able to go to court to have an access way granted, although it may not be over the road you currently use.
I would highly advise you to get a lawyer familiar with land use law and easements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">