• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Road Blocked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristinaKline

What is the name of your state? Wahington

I live in Asotin County Washington and I own 10 Acres. When I purchased my property I was told there is a easement road which consist of a dirt road that goes across my property to access the other 5 acres I now own above me on the hill. The road runs uphill and cuts across another 10 acre parcel. The same person sold all these parcels originally and made the easement for the purpose of access to the 5 acre parcel because there is NO other way to access the 5 acres. Recently the person that owned the 10 acres between my 2 properties sold half of that property and in the sale agreement it states that the Easement does exist, Yet the new owner is fencing across the road and told me that "Too Bad I bought a Landlocked property but I can not use that road anymore" I have offered and bought gates for him so that I can still get to my other 5 acres but he refuses to allow me to install them and cross on his property.
All of the property documents clearly state that the road is an Easement and it is for ingress and egress to the top property. Both owners of the divided 10 acres have access to their properties, but now with a fence I will not be able to get to mine. How should I go about enforcing my Easement?

CraigFL

You say it's in the "sales agreement" but is it a recorded easement that shows up on the title of all the concerned properties? Does it show up on the plat and/or survey? If all these things are true, you need to speak to this person about access concerning the recorded legalities. If he still doesn't believe/understand/permit, you will need to sue him in court...

justalayman

if it is a recorded easement, I would suggest an M1 tank. It takes care of any fences and only an idiot would yell at you for taking down his fence once he sees your tank.

if it is not a recorded easment, you are going to need an attorney to either get it recorded, if it is a true part of your land or to take action against the person that sold the land to you with the misrepresentation of granting you an easement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">