• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement for Sewer Line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmurph5280

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My neighbor behind me has hired a contractor to bury a sewer line along the property line between me and my neighbor to the side of me. He has said there is a utility easement that runs for 5 feet on either side of the property line.

I looked through our paperwork for when we bought the house and found easement documents for specific purposes and entities including electricity and water service but found nothing that specifically allowed sewer lines (sewer service is not the same company as the water service).

My question is: Does he have a right to cut up our property in this manner? Although there are no structures in the way, it will undoubtedly scar our mountain property and he does have other options (although they may cost him more).

Thanks in advance for your help

Happy Trails

jmurph5280 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

My neighbor behind me has hired a contractor to bury a sewer line along the property line between me and my neighbor to the side of me. He has said there is a utility easement that runs for 5 feet on either side of the property line.

I looked through our paperwork for when we bought the house and found easement documents for specific purposes and entities including electricity and water service but found nothing that specifically allowed sewer lines (sewer service is not the same company as the water service).

My question is: Does he have a right to cut up our property in this manner? Although there are no structures in the way, it will undoubtedly scar our mountain property and he does have other options (although they may cost him more).

Thanks in advance for your help
Doesn't sound like it, but have a "Real Estate Attorney" review your documents to verify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">