• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electric Fence in City Limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmkfire1532

What is the name of your state? NE

OK, so my neighbor put an electric fence line attached to our shared chain link fence on our shared property line. The electric fencing line is attached to his side of the fence about 6" inside. The only reason for the electric fencing is that his dog will jump the fence if he is not outside with him.
The problem is: my two year old reached through the chain link fence and got shocked. There was no real damage done, but it did hurt him enough for him to cry for 10 minutes. Now, before you say, "just watch your kid", you obviously do not have a 2 year old. They are fast!
I personally think that it is selfish to put up an electric fence that poses a hazard to a neighbors child just because you don't want to watch your dog. But, selfishness is not illegal (if it was, most of us would be in jail).
I live in a stupid podunk town, where the police don't know the zoning restrictions. Seriously, I called the police, and they basically said that they don't know if there is a law, and hung up.

What should I do?

Lisa

fairisfair

what do you mean by shared fence.

Just because it is between your two properties does not mean that it is "shared".

Whose property is the fence on, who paid for the fence to be erected?

If in fact it is truly shared then what are the contract agreements regarding the use and maintenance of the fence.

Your only remedy may well be to erect a fence inside your property line that blocks off the "shared" fence. If it was my two year old who got shocked, those post holes would already have been dug.

FarmerJ

Start at your county govt centers zoning office and ask them what rules might be in place for electric fencing in your county for ag and non ag zoned property then go to your city hall and learn if the city even has a local ord regarding electric fencing. If the town has none then the countys ord is what rules , ONCE you have that information only then will you know how to proceed. If you find the electric fence to be in violation of a county or city ordinance then learn just whom it is that you can make a complaint to and send them a certified letter so you have proof of the complaint.

FarmerJ

BTW also you want to make sure you learn if there is any special setbacks for electric fencing and if you dont know who owns the fence then learn if there was any permits required for the fence and public record of the permit would tell you who filed it.

lmkfire1532

More info

I am not sure who really "owns" the fence as it was here when I moved in.

I guess I wasn't clear about this. My neighbor has countless other options for controlling his dog. I really do not have an "option" here, as we are poor, and can barely afford groceries. I can't make the choice of going without food to put up a better fence. So, I have had to make the choice of not letting my son play in his own yard.

I will look for my mortgage papers to see who "owns" the fence, though.

FarmerJ

Your mortgage papers might not say , but if permits have been required for fencing and fence was put up with one filed the information on the permit will tell you wich of the past owners filed it < this is long shot, other wise like I said if ordinances were wrote regarding electric fencing learn what they are from city and also county.

LindaP777

I really do not have an "option" here, as we are poor, and can barely afford groceries. I can't make the choice of going without food to put up a better fence.
Choose groceries over internet access . . .
(OK, just joking here. I'm sure she's using the free computers at the library.)

lmkfire1532

more info again

I am in the town of Bennington in Douglas County. I already spoke with the city clerk and she cannot find an ordinance against an electric fence.

about the internet: I need it in order to run my small business from which the profits buy groceries.

Lisa

lmkfire1532

To Tholt4

I hope you are referring to my neighbors dog and not my baby when you said your DUMB beagle learned not to touch the electric fence.

fairisfair

I am in the town of Bennington in Douglas County. I already spoke with the city clerk and she cannot find an ordinance against an electric fence.

about the internet: I need it in order to run my small business from which the profits buy groceries.

Lisa
then chances are that there are no regulations regarding installing them in residential areas. I assume that this is a residential area???

You have a couple of options, first the secondary fence, which we have already determined is not feasible due to finances.

Second, determine who actually owns the fence, if it is your fence, then you should be able to prohibit him from electrifying it.

Third, Section off a safe zone for your child to play in, there are all kinds of portable play area gizmos on the market, and really, a child of two is too young to be left outside unattended, especially, a "fast" child of two. You can also teach the child not to go past a certain point in the yard. Mark a line with chalk (the kind like they use on football fields) and make a game of teaching him not to cross over that line.

First, the two year old should quickly learn not to put his/her hands through the fence to reach the electric fence wire that is six inches in from there.

Second, you can buy chain link fence slats that can be inserted to make the fence essentially solid, or solid enough that you can't put your hand through it. Or you could buy cheap chicken fence wire and attach it to the chain link fence where the electric fence wire is...just make sure about one foot above and below the wire is covered.

This isn't rocket science...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">