• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elephants Walking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj8100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I recently moved into a new place with my girlfriend in Providence RI. We specifically moved to this place because of the quiet neighborhood. The apartment is the middle floor apartment, so there are neighbors above us and below us.When we looked at the apartment, we asked the real estate agent about the noise, specifically the upstairs foot traffic. One of our pet peeves is hearing people walk above us. The real estate agent's exact words were, "You might be able to hear it if they drop something once in awhile, but you won't hear them walking around up there." Well - that is all we hear. There is no soundproofing between floors, we have spoken to our upstairs neighbors and they have two children ages 7 and 8, and they love to run and jump. The impact noise is unbearable. Is there anything we can do to either get the management company (who only manage our unit in that house) to either put in soundproofing or let us out of the lease? We just moved in a week ago and the noise cannot be tolerated. Please, any advice would help. And please don't suggest things like noise machines or carpets on the ceiling. We either need soundproofing put in or we need to be let out of the lease. Should we hire a lawyer? Thanks. AJ

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I recently moved into a new place with my girlfriend in Providence RI. We specifically moved to this place because of the quiet neighborhood. The apartment is the middle floor apartment, so there are neighbors above us and below us.When we looked at the apartment, we asked the real estate agent about the noise, specifically the upstairs foot traffic. One of our pet peeves is hearing people walk above us. The real estate agent's exact words were, "You might be able to hear it if they drop something once in awhile, but you won't hear them walking around up there." Well - that is all we hear. There is no soundproofing between floors, we have spoken to our upstairs neighbors and they have two children ages 7 and 8, and they love to run and jump. The impact noise is unbearable. Is there anything we can do to either get the management company (who only manage our unit in that house) to either put in soundproofing or let us out of the lease? We just moved in a week ago and the noise cannot be tolerated. Please, any advice would help. And please don't suggest things like noise machines or carpets on the ceiling. We either need soundproofing put in or we need to be let out of the lease. Should we hire a lawyer? Thanks. AJ
What does your lease state? Does it guarantee utter silence?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did you spend any time at all in the apartment while the neighbors were present? If you don't want to hear upstairs neighbors, then move in to a unit with nobody above you. If you don't want to hear neighbors, move in to a detached unit.

Silverplum

Did you spend any time at all in the apartment while the neighbors were present? If you don't want to hear upstairs neighbors, then move in to a unit with nobody above you. If you don't want to hear neighbors, move in to a detached unit.
I'm *twitching* because I am not allowed to add, "DUH!"

Oh, dear. Look what happened there.

:cool::p

aj8100

We spent 30 minutes in the apartment and no one was upstairs. There is a quiet enjoyment clause in the lease. The reason why I'm asking this question is to find a solution, not to hear what I should've done differently or "you should've known better," with your finger waving in my face. Thanks! I specifically asked about foot traffic and was lied to about it. Is there any way out of the lease? And if you're just going to reply to my question with the "you're an idiot" approach, spare me, please! If anyone has any solution or any real advice, I'd love to hear it. If not, please don't respond, I don't need ridicule for something that has already passed. I need help, and that's why I'm on this site. I thought that was why people posted, to find answers and suggestions.

Antigone*

We spent 30 minutes in the apartment and no one was upstairs. There is a quiet enjoyment clause in the lease. The reason why I'm asking this question is to find a solution, not to hear what I should've done differently or "you should've known better," with your finger waving in my face. Thanks! I specifically asked about foot traffic and was lied to about it. Is there any way out of the lease? And if you're just going to reply to my question with the "you're an idiot" approach, spare me, please! If anyone has any solution or any real advice, I'd love to hear it. If not, please don't respond, I don't need ridicule for something that has already passed. I need help, and that's why I'm on this site. I thought that was why people posted, to find answers and suggestions.

I might suggest a good pair of earmuffs. :cool:

Just Blue

Please feel free to pay an attorney to discuss your options. Please note said attorney will likely discuss some of the common sense preventive measures stated here.

aj8100

Wow, I just got off the phone with a lawyer, and she gave me fantastic advice. She said nothing about knowing better to move in to an apartment building with upstair neighbors. She didn't belittle me or ridicule me for asking her a question. She did NOT discuss any preventative measures "that were discussed here." She actually gave advice that will help me. Man, people love pointing out other people's flaws.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Great - I'm sure the attorney will be happy to take your mon...I mean...help you.

Good luck. Good day.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Wow, I just got off the phone with a lawyer, and she gave me fantastic advice. She said nothing about knowing better to move in to an apartment building with upstair neighbors. She didn't belittle me or ridicule me for asking her a question. She did NOT discuss any preventative measures "that were discussed here." She actually gave advice that will help me. Man, people love pointing out other people's flaws.
Alrighty then. :cool:

mmmagique

Well what did she say? Someday someone with the exact problem you have is going to search these forums. What did your attorney suggest?

Just Blue

You were wrong!
Of course I was Child. Not like I have rented for the last 30 years or anything...:rolleyes:

BTW: In MY UBBER renter FRIENDLY State...I would be embarrassed if I was to complain about little children being...CHILDREN. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">