• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Encroaching neighbors--adverse possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrsmtd

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I bought a house nearly 2 years ago. For 10 months I let the neighbors park their boat in my yard. I was being nice. Well i told them from the get go that I was erecting a privacy fence for my dogs in the summer. I had the land surveyed and it exactly matched the 3 year old survey that came with the house. I put my fence inside the boundaries of my property. I had hired a crew to come in and grade the driveway and pave it. Before they could come, the moron neighbors filed a lawsuit. They tried to get two restraining orders to keep me from paving the driveway, using the driveway and stop the fence building.
Oh did I mention that my driveway is Huge, and theirs which is 8 foot 6 inches wide at the apron by the road. Anyway, they filed trying to keep me from improving my land, want the fence torn down, monitary damages fro building the fence, and pain and suffering damages. They also filed for adverse possession of my driveway and my entire side yard all the way up to the siding on my house. I nearly croaked. I have paid several thousand dollars to an attorney. Nothing has been resolved. Today the idiot neighbor filed another lawsuit. My attorney called to tell me I would be served as soon as they could get out to my house. I am going to go on vacation out of the country for a few months just to make it difficult for them. Anyway, the latest lawsuit is because I parked my boat in my own driveway. When I use my own property he believe he should have an opinion. The guy yelled at me and was a huge rude ass. I am sick of the abuse! To the point again...The neighbors want to use my yard to park their boat and my driveway to turn around in. This past winter I pulled into my snow covered driveway and nearly broadsided the neighbor who was blocking my driveway. I could not stop due to the snow and ice. In the future I won't even attempt to brake. I am exhaused by this whole ordeal. They have not owned the house they live in for 10 years, and they do not meet the adverse possession requirements. I have been in contact with the most recent owner and there was no adverse possession with her. She did have the property surveyed and they informed her that the survey was wrong. The original owner was a housebound old lady whom they took advantage of. when she died they continued to attempt to take advantage of any owners. What rights do I have? What can I do to stop these people? I plan to counter sue. I have been to the hospital with chest pain and am taking medication for stress due to this mess. I am going to have to hire a better attorney I do know that... I wish you could take your neighbors to the vet and have them put down!

John Se

their suit will be found without merit

Just be patient, report and document the tresspassing and with time and a better lawyer you will prevail. Seems strange they would spend the money to pursue a cause without merit, but who knows, It cost them money too unless they are lawyers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">