• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

encroachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

verest

What is the name of your state? california
next door neigbhbor asked for half of the expense to replace fence between our proerties, we agreed. During the details neighbor asked to replace the wooden retainig wall at the bottom of fence with a reinforced concrete wall, he explained that water (natural flow) from our property damaged the wood one; prior to agreeing, we asked him if the existing fence and wall were on the property line, he responded that everything was in his property. We explained that we would gladly contribute half or more if the fence was placed on property line, neighbor was perplexed but agreed. Neighbor showed us mark on sidewalk that marked property line. this mark showed that the fence was at least 7 inches within our property, neighbor explained that his line curved/angle and fence was in his property. We showed neighbor the parcel map wich showed his propert was 60 ft. at top and 60ft at the bottom, our lot did curved/angled. Neighbor said map was wrong. We suggested a survey, neighbor refused to contribute. We conducted survey at our expense. Survey showed that the fence was fully in our property and more. At the top of a 110 ft line neighbor has taken 7 inches as the line goes down half way it becomes 3.5 feet and by the way it gets to the bottom is about 6ft (kind of like a pizza slice), off all in our favor. Upon discovery neighbor asked us to give the land to him, we refused. Later he told us that he agreed with survey and to build the fence at our expense inside our property line. While we were getting estimates, we received a certified letter from neighbor's wife claiming sole ownwrship of the land in question and that she had seen an attorney (provided no attorney contact for us). Problem, in the land that neighbors took exists a portion of a concrete patio, deteriorated hill side wooden stairs, dirt boxes, portion of neighbor's front retaining wall (1 ft.), and a chain link frnce. Survey was submitted and signed by the couty surveyor, our records show that the lot is ours completelley. Hired attorney who suggested a lawsuit. Problem, I do not want to sue, I just want a fence, lawsuits can be very epensive. The old fence was 90% removed by all parties prior to survey so now I have no privacy and the old fence is stroed on my driveway. Questions:
Can I remove all structures on my own without suing?
If I remove everything can they sue me?
Can I walk and access that portion of my land?
Can I store on that portion of my land?
can they sue me for trespassing?
what can i do to scare them into compliance?
I have been dealing with this since April and just want a fence, between attorney and survey I have spent quite a bit of money and I still have no fence. Neighbor's have not responded to my attorney's letter. Please, suggestions and advice. thank you.

Last edited:

If you have proof beyond any doubt that this is your property you may do as you wish with it.

Who put up the original fence?

verest

I have different versions which all include owners of this property and my neighbors. It is interesting that the wood planks on the fence all face my property.

thanks, verest

BelizeBreeze

verest said:
I have different versions which all include owners of this property and my neighbors. It is interesting that the wood planks on the fence all face my property.

thanks, verest
If the current survey shows the fence on your property then do whatever the hell you want. Hell, even start a bon-fire and hang the neighbor in effigy.

What she is referring to is adverse possession and the time is over. She's overloaded with too many beans to think straight.

verest

thank you, I am just deeply concerned about having to deffend myself for cutting their portion of their concrete patio on my property. It is quite disturbing that I thought of these people as good, imagine I used to share my food with them. Anyway my other concern is that they are close friends with the city code enforcer, though when I call the city they responded that this was a private matter and as long as I follw building codes everything was fine. I appreciate furtehr comments on this encroachment issue.

Thanks,
verest

verest

I am sorry what do you mean by adverse possesion? aacording to my attorney it does not apply?, I have paid all due taxes on my lot. What do you mean the time is over? Is there a clock for adverse possesion.

Thanks. veresrt :cool:

BelizeBreeze

verest said:
I am sorry what do you mean by adverse possesion? aacording to my attorney it does not apply?, I have paid all due taxes on my lot. What do you mean the time is over? Is there a clock for adverse possesion.

Thanks. veresrt :cool:
Adverse possession is the claim to title of land (property) adverse to another's right to possess. If this strip of land was found to in-fact, be yours, and you did nothing to hold title (as in taxes, upkeep or use) and the other party did within the prescribed statutory timeframe, then they could have made a claim under adverse possession for the land.

The fact that they have not made such a claim at this point precludes them from now doing so.

Get the survey then act accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">