• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Encroachment of house by 20 ft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TommyGunn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

FYI
My neighbors house that was built 8 years before either of us lived here was built 25 ft into my parcel. In order for this house to have been built on this view spot someone had moved the survey stake to make it appear to comply.
Total adjustment 30 ft.

My neighbor has since added onto the house using the 25ft encroached distance as a guide from which to build.

Before opening this can of worms with my neighbor,I wish to know my options beforehand.
I guess I could :
1)ignore it (and save it for a rainy day)
Is there a statute of limitations after purchase or is it upon discovery?
2)come to some mutually agreed-to settlement between us on this issue.
3) require the encroachment be removed.

Questions
A) Who are the liable parties? The prior owner , current owner, listing realtor,
title company?
B) Is there or was there insurance available to cover things of this sort.
Would it have to have been purchased before purchase of my property or before knowledge of the problem (s).
C) Do counties require failure to adhere to setbacks be dismantled or does the enforcement vary willy-nilly per county or department or persons in charge?
. If Ive omitted any questions or issues I need to know please post or email me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">