• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Encroachment on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stven

What is the name of your state?
Virginia.

My neighbor has installed a sattelite dish that encroach on my property. Our respective plot is separated by a fence and half of his dish protrudes and pointed towards my property over the fence. I've talked to the neighbor but he doesn't seem to want to move it within his property. Grateful for your advice on what are my rights? Is it trespassing? Where can i find the written law on this issue?

Thanks much,
steve

shortbus

You own the "air space" above your land. Your neighbor does not have the right to install a dish that intrudes.

I'm sure the applicable Virginia law is available on the web. Print it out & show it to him.

Greg 2

Help your poor neighbor do what is right. Park a camper, portable building, plant a tall evergreen, anything next to the dish that will block the signal. Get creative, you can do anything that is allowed in your yard, if it blocks his signal, so be it. Might even accidently get clumsy and 'bump' the dish a few times to knock it out of alignment. After all, it is in Your airspace.

Be wary however of blocking signal if the dish is NOT encroaching on your land.

Good luck.

Greg 2

PS Don't forget to send them a bill for rental of your airspace. Applied properly with collection efforts should encourage the desired results. :)

BelizeBreeze

Both of these answers are unmitigated crap.

First, is the fence on the property line or can you determine that from a recent survey? If it's a 'community' fence or it is on his property, there is nothing you can do about it. If the fence is found to be on your property then simply as him to remove it.

There is no such 'airspace' right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">