• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcement of HOA rules on renter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Looking4anout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
We are an association of five houses on a private road. One home is used as a rental unit by the owner.
The rules strictly prohibit the parking of commercial vehicles at the residence on a regular basis.
A year ago, the single woman living there started having her boyfriend stay over occasionally and would have his construction truck with him. We contacted the owner about enforcing the rule, to which the woman asked myself and another neighbor (her neighbors), if it was off the street and in the driveway and occasionally, would that be OK. We thought we would give it a try to be nice.
Fast forward one year. He has moved in, commercial truck and three vehicles.
We have asked the owner to enforce the no commercial vehicle rule again because their driveway has really become an eyesore. He says, he will have his management company send a notice and to let him know if it does not disappear.
The Rules do not state penalties for breaking them, but could we have it legally towed without warning, if the owner has no luck trying to enforce it through his management company?

STEPHAN

Your contact is the owner. It is his job to handle the tenant. However he does this is his problem.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

You cant just have a tow truck come and take it, I seriously doubt your so called bylaws would grant you that much power and if you did it any way and I was that tenant I would use every thing I could to legally make you very very unhappy that you chose that. Your so called HOA /by law rules are as you said >The Rules do not state penalties for breaking them< I imagine your so called rules might already be so badly written since no one even bothered to create a penalty that you might not even be able to create them after the fact. You can choose to use the links above to speak to a atty who can give you the best possible advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">