• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

erecting fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'd like to erect a 6' fence on the property line between us and our neigbor that does not require a permit from the city. Note there is already a partial fence and I just want to fence the entire length off. There is no easement. Am I required to give them any notice of my intention to do so? If I am not obligated to give them a notice I'd rather not because that will cause them to intrude in building the fence. Could I just go ahead and build it. I will retain a professional fence company and get this done within the day. What happens if they cause intrusion and don't let us build the fence? e.g. park trucks etc.across the boundary line when the fence is being built and not respond to phone calls etc?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'd like to erect a 6' fence on the property line between us and our neigbor that does not require a permit from the city. Note there is already a partial fence and I just want to fence the entire length off. There is no easement. Am I required to give them any notice of my intention to do so? If I am not obligated to give them a notice I'd rather not because that will cause them to intrude in building the fence. Could I just go ahead and build it. I will retain a professional fence company and get this done within the day. What happens if they cause intrusion and don't let us build the fence? e.g. park trucks etc.across the boundary line when the fence is being built and not respond to phone calls etc?
I dont want to look up your history.

why do you feel your neighbors will intrude on building the fence? just make sure it is on your property alone and I'm sure you will be good.

tranquility

"Can" you? Sure. Should you? No. Look, you're in a big fight with your neighbor. If you build a boundary fence on the boundary, you will be placing legal duties upon him to maintain the fence. Fences can also have good sides and bad sides and I suspect you will not care too much about his side. What result?

To put a fence precisely on the property line will require some trespassing on the other side almost assuredly. As well, a poorly made or a bad facing fence could be considered a nuisance. In either instance, damages could result in the removal of the fence, at your cost.

Work it out with your neighbor or put the fence on your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">