• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

erection of lean to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayncoe

I live in a detached house. mu neighbour (new) also lives in a detached house. These are the only 2 houses and they are identical. His deeds state that he owns the walk way between the houses and our deeds state that it is shared.
The new neighbour has now erected a lean to on the side of my property, reaching over to his so the 2 houses are now joined. On top of this monstrosity he is storing his bikes, kitchen sink, timber etc.
I have asked him to remove it twice, but 5 months later it is still there.
As it is my property, can I take it down?

FlyingRon

You're going to need to have a real estate lawyer examine the deeds and figure out the situation. The most current deed is by and large meaningless, they're going to have to dig down the chain of title.

Regardless of who owns the property, the structure is probably illegal anyhow. Did he have a permit? You should speak to the building enforcement office. There's usually a restriction on how close to a property line you can build even if the alley is his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">