• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Neighbor Wants my money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edgepm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
In November my neighbor had some work done to seemingly only his water supply line. There were plumbers there for 2-3 days excavating and replacing something in the ground. My fiancee was home to see this as well as myself when I got home from work. During this time the water supply to our house was turned off numerous times. The plumbers finished their work and left. Close to a full month later my neighbor comes to my house with a bill. It turns out that we have a shared supply line with a shared shut off valve, which was why my water kept getting shut off, instead of just his. The neighbor then tells me that instead of 1 shutoff valve his plumbers have installed 2 for both our houses and since that is the case he thinks I should pay $750-800 dollars out a bill he has already paid. However we had no contact with him or the plumbers while the work was supposedly being done to our home. We also dont know whether or not a seperate shutoff was actually installed having never been able to inspect it or have someone look at it ourselves. Could anyone tell me what my liability is if any? We have taken the stance that he decided to have this work done without our consent and paid for it, then waited almost a month before ever bringing it to our attention.

Any Help at all would be great Thanks!

edgepm

Are there two water meters? If there was only one, who paid?
There were 2 seperate meters. The city supply runs through the easement in from of our houses. The shutoff valve was located in front of his. The city contacted him to fix a leak, causing the issue above.

John_DFW

There were 2 seperate meters. The city supply runs through the easement in from of our houses. The shutoff valve was located in front of his. The city contacted him to fix a leak, causing the issue above.
Was this on the cities side of the line?

I'm curious if my interpretation is accurate, or if the city should have taken responsibility for the change.

Ozark_Sophist

Was this on the cities side of the line?

I'm curious if my interpretation is accurate, or if the city should have taken responsibility for the change.
I agree. If the leak was on the supply side, the city/utility is generally responsible. Perhaps the neighbor damaged the supply line; but even then, I would think the city/utility would repair and bill the responsible party.

edgepm

From what I understand the City replaced their part of the line all the way back to the main, they considered what he had to have replaced after their responsibility.

FarmerJ

What you should learn and this would be part of your city public works records is to verify that there was only one stop box serving both homes even though you each had own meters. ( call public works dept) then also learn the details of the repair like if it was a leak in the line that served his home that triggered the work that was done. Then your city can tell you its code rules , likely its possible that they only required a second stop valve to be put in. So it doesnt hurt to ask if they required new stop valve- stop boxes to be put in for both properties or just one, so see what was ordered and ask if inspector witnessed two new stop valves having been installed or not. Once you have exact info on what work was done from city and what they required then you can make a better informed choice as to any possible obligation you have for assisting with this repair cost. ( meaning if they only ordered that one new stop valve be added and were requiring him to pay for it as part of his repair then id say you have no obligation to assist with paying part of the bill)

sally1

Why didn't the neighbor and plumbers come to you BEFORE completing the work? You would think they would need to get your permission on work they plan to charge you for. You should have been notified so you could get your own plumber or *the city* in to verify needs,responsibilites, and costs.

I would not pay because they should have come to you and asked if you wanted that second valve installed.Since they did not then that means the neighbor made the choice for you. The neighbor decided to add the second valve and then charge you for it. Neighbors mistake so neighbor should pay the entire bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">