• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extremely noisy neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikki_p

Brooklyn, NY

About a month and a half ago some new neighbors moved into the apartment above me. Within the first week, I was going out of my mind with the constant pounding from upstairs. I left a note saying that I was sorry to start things off this way, but asking them to please keep the noise level down. I got a response back saying something to the effect of, "I'm a dad with a six year old son, when the weather is nicer we won't be in so much. I will be getting rugs soon and we will *try* to keep the noise down"... Well, this guy hasn't been "trying" very hard, in my opinion. Things quieted down for maybe a day. Now the pounding is pretty much constant, like the kid needs to run back and forth through the apartment at intervals of a few to 20 minutes, at pretty much all the times when I'm in my apartment. The tenant lets him stay up, pounding away, until between 11 and midnight, so it keeps me awake. There are nightly screaming matches. I've seen the child in the halls of the building (it's a fairly big building) running around, screaming, and unsupervised, on more than one occasion. Other tenants (who also saw the child running around unsupervised) have agreed to hearing the nightly screaming (so loud it echoes through the courtyard) and agree that he is "wild" and just out of control. It's starting to effect my quality of life, where I can't even have a nice quiet dinner or get through a movie without pounding and screaming from upstairs. I had two friends over the other day, and when they heard the pounding and screaming, they just looked horrified. At what point can I make a formal noise complaint? Is this enough grounds to actually get anything done about the situation? I'm about to lose my mind.

Thanks!
Nikki

Last edited:

HuAi

Is this a rental apartment or a condo? In either case there are probably bylaws that govern quiet enjoyment about which you can make a complaint. Many condo associations require floor coverings for this very reason. If he's screaming after 11 pm, call the cops and file a noise complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">