• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family members blocking vehicle into driveway?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

canderson206

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I left my car at home in Pennsylvania while I am away at college. I have given my sister, who is over 18 years old, permission to use my vehicle in accordance with a few responsible guidelines I have provided. So far, she has been great about cooperating. However, my parents resent her use of the vehicle and have attempted on numerous occasions to restrict her use of it, including trying to take the keys from her. Most recently, they have threatened to block my car into the driveway, using their own vehicles, to prevent her from getting to work and fulfilling her other obligations. I know there are laws against parking a vehicle in front of a driveway and blocking it -- are there laws against blocking a family member's vehicle into their driveway? Do my sister and I have any legal recourse if our parents carry through with their threat? If so, what can we do?

The readers should know that my parents are tenants, not homeowners. They do not own the property we live on, a fact which I think has some legal bearing upon my question. Furthermore, I don't want to go into too much detail about the family issues, but I can say honestly to the readers on this forum that neither I or my sister are at fault in this. We are both straight-A upright college students, not rebellious or alcoholics or party animals. It's not like we're damaging our parents' property or causing havoc. We have tried to reason with our parents, to no avail.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

Tell her to park on the street. Who is insuring the car, you or your parents? I do not keep my step daughter on my policy for a reason, so she does not drive, even though she has a license.

Eekamouse

We are so not getting the entire story here. Me thinks OP has left out A LOT of pertinent details.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I left my car at home in Pennsylvania while I am away at college. I have given my sister, who is over 18 years old, permission to use my vehicle in accordance with a few responsible guidelines I have provided. So far, she has been great about cooperating. However, my parents resent her use of the vehicle and have attempted on numerous occasions to restrict her use of it, including trying to take the keys from her. Most recently, they have threatened to block my car into the driveway, using their own vehicles, to prevent her from getting to work and fulfilling her other obligations. I know there are laws against parking a vehicle in front of a driveway and blocking it -- are there laws against blocking a family member's vehicle into their driveway? Do my sister and I have any legal recourse if our parents carry through with their threat? If so, what can we do?

The readers should know that my parents are tenants, not homeowners. They do not own the property we live on, a fact which I think has some legal bearing upon my question. Furthermore, I don't want to go into too much detail about the family issues, but I can say honestly to the readers on this forum that neither I or my sister are at fault in this. We are both straight-A upright college students, not rebellious or alcoholics or party animals. It's not like we're damaging our parents' property or causing havoc. We have tried to reason with our parents, to no avail.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated.
If she doesn't park in the driveway, she cannot be blocked in.

Why do they resent her use of the vehicle?

canderson206

Tell her to park on the street. Who is insuring the car, you or your parents? I do not keep my step daughter on my policy for a reason, so she does not drive, even though she has a license.
I insure the car. Through my policy, she is allowed to use it without me having to pay extra for her use of it.

She would park the car on the street if it was possible. We live on an extremely narrow and cramped street, and there is nowhere for her to park without having to argue with our neighbors about parking.

Obviously, if there was some easy, simple solution to this problem, we would have done it already. I'm looking for legal advice because I'm out of other options.

canderson206

If she doesn't park in the driveway, she cannot be blocked in.

Why do they resent her use of the vehicle?
Ever heard of gaslighting? Control freaks? Micromanagement? Bipolar personality disorder? I didn't really want to air all our dirty laundry but my sister and I are stuck living with some rather extreme individuals. They resent her use of the car because they can't control it. They can't prevent her from going to work, doing things with friends, or generally just making her own choices as a legal adult should be able to do. By the way, it's not just limited to my sister either.....they've threatened me as well.

And no, moving out is not an option at this point for financial and college reasons. I just need an answer as to whether or not we have legal action we can take.

single317dad

And no, moving out is not an option at this point for financial and college reasons. I just need an answer as to whether or not we have legal action we can take.
Moving out isn't an option because you and your sister aren't making it an option. You're both adults, and are free to leave your parents' home at any time and make your own ways in the world.

Make an agreement with a neighbor or local business to park the car there. Don't fight this battle with your parents, there's no winning it in the end.

p.s. I think you've read too many narcissist support forums.

FarmerJ

since its a rental home , I gotta ask, if your both over 18 are you both listed in the lease or not ? as far as your parents blocking that car , you wont find any so called law or ordinance that says they cannot since its not parked on the street. Taking the keys, if they do it then call the police , I get it that there are bigger issues going on here so tell your sister to park that car on the street where permitted and if anyone in the neighborhood complains tell her to smile and go on about her business ( public streets even with parking permitted are just that, public and she can even suggest to any complainer that the sign that says it was reserved must have been removed by the city LOL.

STEPHAN

So you insist on getting their support but you want to fight their rules? Make a decision. Thats part of really growing up.

canderson206

Moving out isn't an option because you and your sister aren't making it an option. You're both adults, and are free to leave your parents' home at any time and make your own ways in the world.

Make an agreement with a neighbor or local business to park the car there. Don't fight this battle with your parents, there's no winning it in the end.

p.s. I think you've read too many narcissist support forums.
We're currently trying to make it an option but that's easier said than done, of course. Until that can happen, I was just wondering if the same statutes which I believe apply to blocking another person's driveway could apply to blocking a relative's car into the driveway. I really just needed some legal advice. If there's no path of action we can take, I guess we'll have to figure something else out. I'm not here to argue.

canderson206

since its a rental home , I gotta ask, if your both over 18 are you both listed in the lease or not ? as far as your parents blocking that car , you wont find any so called law or ordinance that says they cannot since its not parked on the street. Taking the keys, if they do it then call the police , I get it that there are bigger issues going on here so tell your sister to park that car on the street where permitted and if anyone in the neighborhood complains tell her to smile and go on about her business ( public streets even with parking permitted are just that, public and she can even suggest to any complainer that the sign that says it was reserved must have been removed by the city LOL.
We are both listed on the lease as co-tenants. Thank you for actually answering my question. If the vehicle is not actually parked on the street, I guess there are no legal ramifications. There may be another option, so I'll have to keep searching for answers.

Silverplum

We are both listed on the lease as co-tenants. Thank you for actually answering my question. If the vehicle is not actually parked on the street, I guess there are no legal ramifications. There may be another option, so I'll have to keep searching for answers.
It seems you and your sibling want everything your way, which is the easiest way. You want to avoid paying rent, save money for your own uses, and park in the driveway.

Good luck with all of that.

FarmerJ

I do understand that some families are just toxic , I grew up in one and am just fine with having cut ties. Both of you do what you can toward getting other housing ( the farther away from the toxic parents the better )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">