• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Property Boundary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movingncanada

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My mother inherited her mother's property. The family sold my great-grandmother's adjacent property to a woman, who wants to change its boundaries, I guess to make it appear that she has more property, 4 years ago.

The neighbor commented that the surveyor told her that they would move the boundaries of the property for her for $400. She wants the half acre between the two properties, that cannot be developed, to have the back end moved from behind her property to behind my mother's. The property behind my mother's is someone else's altogether.

The neighbor produced a new survey showing her property fuller, and the half acre boundary moved. I told my mother to be very careful because it appeared that the woman was trying to use adverse possession to gain ownership of more property. I told her to get the boundaries settles, NOW! The neighbor and her boyfriend are constantly out mowing the lawn at least 3 to 4 times a week, even over the property line onto my mother's property, for all to see. They stand out and play ball with kids, or just walk around. They have forced my mother to remove plantings, due to new survey.

I am angered because my mother is submissive, a push-over. Her elderly uncle, who is in his mid 90's is the executor to his mother's estate. Problem is his son, a disbarred attorney, is the one making all of the decisions. Our elderly aunt lost her home due to fraud by this cousin. That is why he was disbarred. The neighbors claim they have never met my mother's uncle, and have only interacted with her cousin.

This woman did not have all the money to purchase the property, but he made his father wait until she came up with it, as well as her daughter and son-in-law who "purchased" property across the road. My mother's cousin made a comment to her that she would lose some frontage to her property that she would not like. He took four months to produce the survey I pressured my mother to demand. He gave her a piece of paper with a written survey. He took 2 additional months to produce a drawn one. He mentioned something about the neighbor trying to use adverse possession. He let slip that his cousin works in the survey office. He will not release any information about the original boundaries. He said something about the purchase having to be that way and have land she did not own in her name so that she would be able to obtain an address. I did not understand as the address she is using is the same one my great-grandmother used for over 70 years. Long ago, my grandmother told me that her mother's property was divided up into parcels, to give to the children.

I want to help my mother find the correct boundary. It may be 2 and a half acres and not a half acre. My mother's cousin is now putting pressure on her to accept the new survey, so that the family can "reclaim the half acre."

I don't know what to do. Who she should hire? This is a very small rural town. Although disbarred as an attorney, the courts allow my mother's cousin to work there as an advisor or something. He is also a member of several local organizations. This is angering me beyond belief. :mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HuAi

How about

1) Get property survey
2) Fence in your yard

Any adverse possession claims between the nasty neighbor and the unbuildable lot owner are not your problem.

sally1

A homeowner can not redraw the property lines. Neighbors can agree to exchange/change property,and have the boundary redone.They both sign legal documents and submit the agreed upon boundaries.

Your mother needs to immediately do atleast a boundary survey.She needs to hire someone other than the neighbors surveyor,and they need to know what is going on(with neighbor),so the surveyor takes their time looking into documents/measuring.Corner metal pins and then wooden stakes every 20 feet or so along the boundary.This will show exactly where the *line* is.

If the neighbor disagrees with your survey results then the neighbor needs to have her surveyor meet with your mothers(at her cost ofcourse) if the 2 surveyors have differeing results.Someone is wrong and they need to find out why.

If it is proven that your mother's survey is correct then best bet is fencing to control the neighbors urge to trespass,because they will feel that your land is theirs.

If regular fencing is to much consider T posts set in concrete with wire fence attached.

The first step is a survey.You pay for it for mom if she is to reluctant.

If there is a lot between the properties then either the city owns it,or the lot was equally divided among the property owners(look in city records). The neighbor could have bought that land.Contact the city.Look online for your neighbors property with the auditor.

154NH773

Neighbors can agree to exchange/change property,and have the boundary redone.They both sign legal documents and submit the agreed upon boundaries
One other thing. Usually a local Planning Board will have to approve a boundary line adjustment (land swap) to ensure that all zoning ordinances are upheld (for minimum lot sizes, setbacks, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">