• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fed Up with Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Balljnt8

What is the name of your state: Colorado

I have a shared well with another neighbor. However the well is on my property & the electricity for the pump is in my name. I have a signed contract with the neighbor that states he will pay for his part of the electricity used to pull water to his house. It states in the contract that if he fails to obide by the contract I will discontinue his services. Needless to say he never pays on time for his electricity and when he does the check bounces. I have documented every written notice I have given him & kept copies of his bounce check. I know this is a civil case but my question is since the electricity is in my name that allowes him to pull water to his house & the well is on my property & was sold to me when I purchased the land. Would I be justified in shutting his water off & voiding the contract between thetwo of us & give him a 30 day notice stating I will not be supplying electricity to him any more & he will need to find another way to get water into his house? Any suggestions I would appreciate thank you for your time.

yes. You are like any other utility. If it is not paid, it is cut off. If a bill is sent with a due date and it is not paid, you have the right to ask for low interest, jst like the utilities. If it is not paid then, you have the right to shut it off and demand cash, just like the utilities.

Balljnt8

Thank you for the heads up also for the reassurance that I am within my right to shut the water off.

154NH773

Before you shut off the water, check your deed to make sure it doesn't contain an easement of some kind that requires you to provide water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">