• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rh4par

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I installed an HOA approved fence at my home over ten years ago. Shortly after that, my neighbor (Behind me) installed a fence and used the back run of the fence to tie theirs in. They naver offered to pay for that part of the fence they have been enjoying. Now, they have planted numerous plants and trees near the fence which is causing the paint to fail due to their irrigation and mold / mildew on the fence from the plants. I feel that since they are utilizing that part of my fence for free, they should atleast maintain the side they are getting dirty. Also there is slight damage to it from their kids. Should they have to maintain the fence?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I installed an HOA approved fence at my home over ten years ago. Shortly after that, my neighbor (Behind me) installed a fence and used the back run of the fence to tie theirs in. They naver offered to pay for that part of the fence they have been enjoying. Now, they have planted numerous plants and trees near the fence which is causing the paint to fail due to their irrigation and mold / mildew on the fence from the plants. I feel that since they are utilizing that part of my fence for free, they should atleast maintain the side they are getting dirty. Also there is slight damage to it from their kids. Should they have to maintain the fence?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: you can ask them but read your HOA docs.

154NH773

Agreed that your HOA rules and documents may control this situation, but in general; if your fence is on your property only, then your neighbor has no right to connect to it, and has no obligation to maintain it.

Since you should have placed the fence on your property and left some room to maintain it on the other side, you can trim any shrubs or bushes that extend over the property line onto your side. That should prevent any damage to your fence from that side. If you've placed the fence right up to the property line, then you have no right to expect the neighbor's shrubs on his side of the line not to cause damage.

Any damage that you can prove was caused by your neighbor's kids, you can ask for compensation, or go to court to collect damages.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">