• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lot 28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

We live in a tract development with lots that are 75' wide & 150' long. It was surveyed and established in 1967. A few months ago we needed to remove a portion of a fence that runs between our neighbor and our property, to fell a damaged tree. When we did so we found several old cedar posts were too rotten to reuse. We replaced these with oak railroad ties. Our neighbor insisted that we were encroaching on his property even though we were able to show him the original hubs from the original survey still in place. He argued that since they had no cap with survey numbers on them they were not legal. He ordered us to remove our posts and we suggested we all go in together to get a survey to resolve the dispute. He agreed and said he would find a surveyor. Two weeks passed in which we delayed working on the fence and he did not produce anyone for a survey, however he did remove our new posts and piled them on our side of the property line. We could wait no longer as tensions grew so we hired a surveyor. He said the original stakes were within 1/100th of a foot and our fence line is in fact on our side of where these markers are. We have asked the neighbor to reimburse us for half of the cost as it was his actions that forced us to provide the survey. He has not responded to this request.

Since then he has been hanging things like an old logging cable and trash on our new (barb wire & posts) fence. I repeat, if one looks closely it is on our side of the survey markers. When my husband asked him to desist he said that it is a "common fence" and that he could do what he wishes with it. We do not wish to call in the police since this seems minor, but annoying. Now to the real question: Does he have any leg to stand on saying this is "common fence" and if not how do we keep him from doing this? We really do not want a fence laden with trash and someone elses idea of ornamentation.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

I need to check washington statutes to be accurate but generally, the costs for a common fence are shared. Since he didn't pay for the fence, tell him to get his junk off your fence.

since you don't want to involve the police (and I am sure they appreciate that. Every one I have talked with hates this type of situation), I would simply remove his junk from your fence, toss it back into his yard and not say a word.

He has you upset right now and it sounds like that is his intent. If you don't react to his actions, hopefully he will find somebody else to bother.

Now, the next step I would take (but be aware of the problems this could bring) would be to remove the items and pile them in MY yard outside of his reach. He will either complain where I would simply tell him that all you were doing is removing the crap from your own fence.

I caution you because if he calls the police, this could actually result in your arrest or citation. So, unless you are willing to risk that, do not put the stuff in your yard.

. We have asked the neighbor to reimburse us for half of the cost as it was his actions that forced us to provide the survey. He has not responded to this request.
and I suspect you won't. If he offers to pay for 1/2 of the fence costs so as to consider this a common fence, include the cost of the survey as well. It was an expense involved with installing the fence.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=16.60

RCW 16.60.020
Partition fence — Reimbursement.

When any fence has been, or shall hereafter be, erected by any person on the boundary line of his land and the person owning land adjoining thereto shall make, or cause to be made, an inclosure, so that such fence may also answer the purpose of inclosing his ground, he shall pay the owner of such fence already erected one-half of the value of so much thereof as serves for a partition fence between them: PROVIDED, That in case such fence has woven wire or other material known as hog fencing, then the adjoining owner shall not be required to pay the extra cost of such hog fencing over and above the cost of erecting a lawful fence, as by law defined, unless such adjoining owner has his land fenced with hog fencing and uses the partition fence to make a hog enclosure of his land, then he shall pay to the one who owns said hog fence one-half of the value thereof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">