• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence Encroachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yudelkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Hi thanks for your time.
3 years ago we bought our home and decided we would like a 6 foot privacy fence put up we spoke to our neighboors to see if they would be interested in sharing it along with the cost but nobody was interested in fencing in their yard. To avoid any problems using the survey the fence was put up 6 inches into our property line on all sides posts and all.

Now a new back neighboor decided to also put up a fence even matched it to ours and asked for permision to hook up to our post. We did not have a problem if they would go half on the cost of the back fence. We told them how much it cost us. We want to be fair we olny asked for half. They said that was too much. They had to speak with familiy that said they would help them with the cost and get back to us in the morning. Mean while without comming to an agreement they hooked up much to our suprise. The next morning they detached from our post and put posts on their property (no prob) but then proceded to attach 6 in peice of fence encroaching our property to close the gap without attatching to our post..

After the fact they came over to explain that for that amount we asked they could put up their own mirror fence we said that was fine.... but that was not what they did. Apparently the materials cost less now. If they would have said that before they detached we would have been fine going on half of the current pricing just to be fair but, they decided they could just do to it for free and did not communicate beforehand. There is no dispute of property line they know they are crossing as it showes on their survey as well. Can we screw off the encroaching pieces?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Two suggestions after a question , How are you planing on maintaining (mowing ) the few inches of your property that are on the nieghbors side of the fence ?

Yudelkes

ookk im quite creative i was thinking an extended long wanded sprayer pump with adjustable nozzle should do the trick without traspassing... now thats cleared up .... :)

JustAPal00

Better not kill any of his grass! If I had a neighbor as petty as you and he killed my grass, I'd hire a landscaper to come in and resod the dead area. I would then send the bill to him! Remember, you are obligated to maintain the land to the property line. If you go over you are tresspassing. If you damage his property, you are responsible to pay for it's repair.

csi7

Remove the portion that is on your property. They do have to fence inside their property line and not encroach on your property.

Do not use roundup on the grass if there is potential for major washout or soil erosion due to way land drains around fence line. If you use round up, keep it only on your portion.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">