• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence laws in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rosetattoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I want to put up a 220 foot length of fence either on the property line or offset onto my own. I live outside the city limits but neither mine nor my neighbor's property has livestock or is farm ground. Can anyone tell me what Indiana's laws/rules are on fencing? Do I have to have his permission? The original survey markers are present and visible. If I need them verified I can do that. Is it better to put a fence on the property line or offset? If offset, how much to I have to offset onto my property? I do not want to charge my neighbor for half the fence and do not want them to have any rights to it as they are very unfriendly, therefore I would prefer to put the fence entirely on my property but worry about hostile possession if it's not on the property line. Also, is a building permit necessary? If answers to these questions are subject to local laws, what office would I go to for answers?

Thanks!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I want to put up a 220 foot length of fence either on the property line or offset onto my own. I live outside the city limits but neither mine nor my neighbor's property has livestock or is farm ground. Can anyone tell me what Indiana's laws/rules are on fencing? Do I have to have his permission? The original survey markers are present and visible. If I need them verified I can do that. Is it better to put a fence on the property line or offset? If offset, how much to I have to offset onto my property? I do not want to charge my neighbor for half the fence and do not want them to have any rights to it as they are very unfriendly, therefore I would prefer to put the fence entirely on my property but worry about hostile possession if it's not on the property line. Also, is a building permit necessary? If answers to these questions are subject to local laws, what office would I go to for answers?

Thanks!
You do not need your neighbor's permission to put up a fence on your side of the property line. You also don't have to put it very far on your side, a few inches will do.

Whether or not you need a building permit for a fence is pretty county/township specific...so I really cannot help you with that one.

bdancer

Your county probably has a building permit office. Check the phone book. That's where you would have to check about the need for a permit.

single317dad

You should first consult your county zoning office. Many counties and towns require approval for fences; some do not. Neighborhood associations would require approval and have specific standards of fencing allowed as well.

I would build my fence so that the outer reach of the fence was adjacent to the property line. For example, if you're building a privacy fence, the outside edge of the outside boards should be equal to the property line. Too far back, and you're responsible for mowing a tiny strip which will require you to traverse the neighbor's property to maintain, unless you're in a modern addition where easements exist between every property.

The plat office will also be a wise place to visit, and if you don't have permanent survey pins you'll want a survey done as well. Nothing is less fun that tearing a fence down and moving it (except maybe having a judge order you to do so).

rosetattoo

I appreciate the responses. I do not believe there are any rules on types of fences that can be put up in my area because I see all kinds and one neighbor has stockade and the other has plain farm fencing. I will check on the building permit for it. I just want a plain farm fence.

The survey pins are in place and visible. Does anyone know how you can mark an accurate line between property stakes? It's 222 feet from one to the other. For the 50 foot section I ran a taut string from stake to stake then spray painted the line orange. I don't think the 222 feet will be as easy. There are no trees or anything in the way. It's just grass but I don't want to make a mistake. Is that something survey people do?

bdancer

I appreciate the responses. I do not believe there are any rules on types of fences that can be put up in my area because I see all kinds and one neighbor has stockade and the other has plain farm fencing. I will check on the building permit for it. I just want a plain farm fence.

The survey pins are in place and visible. Does anyone know how you can mark an accurate line between property stakes? It's 222 feet from one to the other. For the 50 foot section I ran a taut string from stake to stake then spray painted the line orange. I don't think the 222 feet will be as easy. There are no trees or anything in the way. It's just grass but I don't want to make a mistake. Is that something survey people do?
Running a string from stake to stake is pretty much the best way. Unless you have access to some kind of laser system or surveyor tools.

rosetattoo

When I strung the line for the 50 foot boundary, I used a mason line and didn't realize it. So, I guess I have what I need. I want to thank everyone for the advice.

154NH773

Does anyone know how you can mark an accurate line between property stakes? It's 222 feet from one to the other.
If you can't easily run a mason line the entire length between the corner stakes, you can probably rent a level with crosshairs and a tripod with a centering plumb bob. Center the level over one corner stake and sight on the string of someone holding a plumb bob over the far stake. Once you have the level pointed in the proper direction, have the person with the plumb bob walk toward you and every so often, move them until their plumb bob is centered in the level crosshairs. Have them put in a marker at that spot, and continue doing that until you have a line of stakes that you can run a mason line between.

rosetattoo

Excellent idea. Thank you very much! Neighbor knows the law, more or less although he will twist it to his advantage when he thinks he can get away with it, and probably wont say anything about the fence, but he will definitely hop around like a little banty rooster, making sure I don't put it over the property line. Also, I would assume I have to be very careful in putting up the fence that I don't step on his property during the construction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">