• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fence moved before purchase of home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blaahh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently purchased a home and my neighbor moved the fence - prior to closing on the house - to what they said was the correct boundary line. I am going to get this surveyed - Aerial view on assessor website shows original position was the correct one - but am wondering if this is going to be a hassle to have them move it back considering they did it before I purchased the home.

Kiawah

If this was the neighbors fence who had mistakenly put on your proposed property, then that is a good thing that they moved it off.

But why would you close on a house, if you had an unresolved concern with the fence being moved? You survey and stake the property before you close, and do the final walkthrough to verify that everything is okay before you sign and buy the property.

Last edited:

drewguy

If this was the neighbors fence who had mistakenly put on your proposed property, then that is a good thing that they moved it off.

But why would you close on a house, if you had an unresolved concern with the fence being moved? You survey and stake the property before you close, and do the final walkthrough to verify that everything is okay before you sign and buy the property.
Yes, ideally this is how that should have gone.

But given where you are (1) the aerial photos aren't usually very reliable, at least as to very close distances. If this is a 50 foot move, then maybe, but not if it's 5 feet. (2) You ought to get the property staked so you know. (3) Once that is done, inform the neighbor that he incorrectly moved the fence and that you intend to move it back; offer him a (brief) time to conduct his own survey if he wants. But you're going to pay for it since you bought the house (at closing) with the fence in the current position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">