• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fence rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwo11721

What is the name of your state? California

The fence between our property and my neighbor's is in very bad shape and it appears it may fall down sometime soon. The person who owns the house next door actually rents it out, which is not a problem. I approached this person recently and inquired about replacing the fence and if he would pay for half the costs for material. I told him that I would do the labor at no cost to him. (I have built fences and done remodeling work and it would not be a problem for me, also I was just trying to be a good neighbor) He requested for an estimate on the material that is needed to replace the fence. I got the estimate for him. He tried to low ball me and pay for one quarter of the total (I wanted to split the costs evenly). I reminded him that I was offering to replace the fence at no extra cost to him. Later he declined to pay for the fence and I cancelled the material order. He wanted to wait until next year when he does some remodel work to his house, but we wanted to improve the area along the fence now and we have decided to just patch up and repair the fence along our side to keep it in place as long as we could. We are no longer interested in replacing the fence.

Now my question is, if he does decide to replace the fence next year we have a right to decline and keep the fence as is, correct? If he chooses to go ahead and replace the fence, we are under no obligation to pay for the new fence, correct?

Thank you,
RWO

seniorjudge

Check with the Farm Bureau on fence laws in your state. They are usually quite helpful, even if you live in the city.

rmet4nzkx

Where is the fence located, on the property line, your property/their property?
What kind of fence is it? How many feet and the total cost for the replacement of the fence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">