• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

25snakeman02

What is the name of your state, Virginia.

Neighbor put up new fence extending over onto my property line using my fence. This was not discussed prior to the fence going up nor any paperwork submitted by the neighbor to my wife and I. In my readings, I have read if I do nothing and continue to let the fence exist across into my platte/property then, when it is time to sell the property, mine or the neighbor's, the neighbor's fence then becomes the edge of his property and my original property line ceases to exist? My question, without using an Attorney, would a letter suffice to let him know he has put his fence on over into my property; he did so without written and or verbal consent and his fence is now my property? If so, what should be said in the letter?

Kiawah

How far is the setback of your fence from the property line, which is the amount of his fence that he put over your property?

154NH773

You may grant permission for the fence to extend into your property, and that would negate any future claim against your property. I would have a lawyer write such a letter just to make sure it is done legally. You will have to maintain the proof of such a document, and a lawyer can advise you how to do that.
Or, you can write a letter demanding that the fence encroachment be removed from your property. Once again, have a lawyer do it so it meets all the legal requirements. If they do not move the fence, you may have to go to court.
It's probably easier to give permission, as long as the fence really doesn't bother you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">