• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fences, boundaries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindyet

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

As part of an ongoing fued, my neighbor has put up a privacy fence. The first 200 feet vinyl, the last 150 or so feet stockade. This fence is about 18 inches from the property line at the vinyl fence and jot out to 8 to 12 feet at the stockade end. They have the post and rail side facing our property. Is there a law in Connecticut which requires the good or finished side to face us? Also they have put up another fence right on the property line parallel to the other fence. This fence is made up of at least 4 different materials including various wire and chain link, much of which is rusty and has sharp protusions which pose a danger to us when we are gardening in that area. Is this legal? They have also stored paper yard waste bags along a portion of this fence as well as a rusty old burn barrel with brush and sticks sticking out and a blue barrel of some sort. I am at my wits end with this, it looks like hell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JETX

Is there a law in Connecticut which requires the good or finished side to face us?
No.

Also they have put up another fence right on the property line parallel to the other fence. This fence is made up of at least 4 different materials including various wire and chain link, much of which is rusty and has sharp protusions which pose a danger to us when we are gardening in that area. Is this legal?
Yes. If you don't like it, put up your own fence on YOUR property.

They have also stored paper yard waste bags along a portion of this fence as well as a rusty old burn barrel with brush and sticks sticking out and a blue barrel of some sort. I am at my wits end with this, it looks like hell.
You can certainly contact your local housing agency or zoning board to find out if their 'storage' is allowed.

cindyet

I cannot put up a fence, this property is our upper driveway. We are on an interior lot, our and our other neighbors (the rest of neighborhood is great), power, cable and telephone lines run underground there. If I were to ignore the easement and put a fence far enough away from the utilities to be safe, it would not only enclose them but would make the driveway to narrow. Before we moved here, he planted 3 evergreens directly above our powere lines thinking it was his property even after the other neighbor told him the power lines were there. Truly a spite fence.

HuAi

It's a bit difficult to understand from your description, but it sounds like the utility co has a utility easement along the property line. If that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me if the utility easement runs in both your and your bad neighbor's property - you can check his deed at your county registrar. If that's so then his ugly fence may be in the utility easement, and should a little birdie let them know about it, they will demand the removal of the fence from their easement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">