• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fences, bushes, trees, and such

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PatchesII

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OHIO

I recently had my property surveyed and boundaries marked to put up a fence around the perimiter. Having done this, I thought I'd be considerate (and a little cautious) so I placed the fence about 6" to 12" on my side of the property line. My neighbor then decided to plant bushes ("Rose of Sharon" for you horticulturalists) along the fence and placed them right ON the property line and some even 1" to 3" onto my property. We don't speak much due to some other confrontations, so I don't think talking to him will do much good, but I don't want his bushes on my property!!

question #1 - Did I give up my right to the 12" strip of property when I put the fence 12" on my side?

question #2 - can I use Round-Up to control weeds/grass that are on the 12" strip?

question #3 - Do I have a right to cut/trim/or spray Round-Up on the bushes he planted that hang on my property or planted on my property?

question #4 - the neighbor's tree on the other side over hangs. Can I trim it back to the property line?

question #5 - What to do about my neighbor parking his truck on my property (front wheels) so he can move his other cars along his driveway? he leaves this truck there for days each week.

Thanks in advance.

PatchesII

JETX

PatchesII said:
question #1 - Did I give up my right to the 12" strip of property when I put the fence 12" on my side?
No.

question #2 - can I use Round-Up to control weeds/grass that are on the 12" strip?
If you want a HUGE fight on your hands... yes.

question #3 - Do I have a right to cut/trim/or spray Round-Up on the bushes he planted that hang on my property or planted on my property?[/qutoe]
See above.

question #4 - the neighbor's tree on the other side over hangs. Can I trim it back to the property line?
Yes... as long as you don't damage HIS tree.

question #5 - What to do about my neighbor parking his truck on my property (front wheels) so he can move his other cars along his driveway? he leaves this truck there for days each week.
Send your neighbor a very nice letter (certified RRR) advising him of the above problems and ask him to remove his encroachment on your property (and to not park his truck on your property). Then, see what happens.

ralph31

It's nice to see a to the point reply that from my layman's viewpoint seems quite accurate. Looking forward to more replys by JETX.

PatchesII

Thank you JetX. You have confirmed my suspicions. As far as the fight, I'm not too worried about it as I had to sue him last year to enforce a prescriptive easement I had with a septic pipe that I wanted to replace with a sewer connection at the subdivision near me (got some advice in this forum then too, as well as from a lawyer/plumber/surveyor/and professional engineer), and he has been ticked off ever since then, trying to "get me back" for standing up for my rights. So I just wanted to be sure of my rights on this issue as well.

Maybe I'll write the letter, just to be nice, and to have documentation.

Thanks again,

PatchesII

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">