• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fences-Covenants and Restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joan Hair

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

Background Info: I live in a community of twenty two-year old fee simple town houses with 22 year-old covenants and restrictions (referred to here-in as C & R’s). There is an extension clause in the C & R’s that states: 'said covenants shall be automatically extended for successive periods of ten years unless an instrument signed by the majority of the then owners of the lots has been recorded agreeing to change said covenants in whole or in part.' Each building consists of 4 to 5 homes with green space between the buildings. The green space is divided in ownership (not equally) between the end units that abut either side of the space. There is a five-foot, deeded easement that runs down through the green space, the servient tenancy being divided between the two properties with 2.5 feet on each property; it continues along the rear of all buildings and enables access, by homeowners, to the rear of their building.

Our C & R’s state that no fence shall be erected that extends beyond a line contiguous with the sideline of the building. The C & R’s also state that no fence shall be placed on any easement whether on the back front or sides and that all fences must meet be approved by the architectural committee.

Case in point: I have a new neighbor that plans to erect a fence that would extend beyond the line contiguous with the sideline of the building and also take in the easement. Such a fence would come very close to the side of my building and would have an adverse effect on my property value. Certain individuals in the neighborhood say that since our C & R’s are so old, we have no recourse when the C & R’s are violated and that as long as gates are provided there is nothing one can do in so far as preventing such fencing. But what if they attempt to run their fence along the property line between the two buildings, which would also be down the center of the easement? Would we not have the right to intervene? If so, what would be the procedure to prevent such a fence? The right of ingress and egress to ones property goes far and beyond the covenants and restrictions because the easement legally runs with the land, but erecting fences that protrude beyond the side-line of the building is a matter of C & R’s. What can be done to enforce these old C & R’s?

Thank you,
Joan

seniorjudge

Q: What can be done to enforce these old C & R’s?

A: Get a lawyer and sue whoever it is you think is violating the rules.

Joan Hair

seniorjudge said:
Q: What can be done to enforce these old C & R’s?

A: Get a lawyer and sue whoever it is you think is
violating the rules.
That is the obvious. I did not need to write a long dissertation to come up with on overly simplistic answer. First I want to know if these covenants and restrictions are still enforceable and second, what legal steps I can take WITHOUT a lawyer, to enforce them, i.e. small claims, petition, etc.

seniorjudge

Joan Hair said:
That is the obvious. I did not need to write a long dissertation to come up with on overly simplistic answer. First I want to know if these covenants and restrictions are still enforceable and second, what legal steps I can take WITHOUT a lawyer, to enforce them, i.e. small claims, petition, etc.
Sure, go ahead and try all that stuff without a lawyer.

Then, after you try all that stuff, you will realize that my first answer was correct.

Joan Hair

No Thanks

Apparently you know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing, because if you did, you would have something worth while to offer. So please, if you have nothing better to do, bother sombody else! If I wanted to hire an attorney I would not have bothered with this site. I can get better amswers by calling the county.

BelizeBreeze

Joan Hair said:
Apparently you know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing, because if you did, you would have something worth while to offer.
Worthwhile is one word. If you're going to be a smartass, at least have the courtesy of being a cogent smartass.
So please, if you have nothing better to do, bother sombody else! If I wanted to hire an attorney I would not have bothered with this site.
Then, since you don't want to hire an attorney and that is the ONLY valid legal advice you're going to get since we can't read these CC&R documents, I guess that means you're leaving?
I can get better amswers by calling the county.
And of course, if you think the county will give a damn about old CC&Rs you're definately in need of an attorney. The county couldn't care less.

Joan Hair

I would not be too worried about separating a word into two words, both of which have the ability to stand alone in a sentence, especially since it does not alter the meaning of the sentence. If scrutinizing what others write is all you have to do, then I feel sorry! As far as courtesy is concerned, an inadvertent typing error has nothing to do with courtesy.

As far as the county is concerned, I have been told that since fencing can obscure visibility from the street and becomes a safety issue, especially in high-density areas, our county has fencing restrictions written into the code. In addition, since our taxation is based on value, anything that is a code violation and diminishes property value is of concern to the county. If the county can go so far as to cite a property owner for storing children's toys around the base of a tree or for a small paint spill in the street, then I do believe the county would be interested in the erection of a fence that is in violation of county code, hence, my proposed call to the county!

From my experience with this site, I should be thankful that you are not offering legal advice. And yes, I will be leaving, since my time would be better spent elsewhere. It is no wonder I stay away from lawyers!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">